Logo

Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter

I am not quite sure which post you are referring to.
It would be best if you were to post a photo of this. You don't want to make a mistake.

As a general rule for a Non-Bendix motor:
...... you should see an "S" terminal. The "S" terminal will excite the solenoid field of which will energize the armature and kick the pinion gear into the ring gear.
...... you
may also see an "R" or "I" terminal. If so, this will by-pass resisted ignition coil voltage.

I picked up a IMI Hi-torque starter not too long ago to replace the old style bendix drive. The new one has an extra post to the solenoid whereas the old one just had the post to to ignition.

Here is a photo of what I'm referring to:
s-l1600.jpg

I picked up a IMI Hi-torque starter not too long ago to replace the old style bendix drive. The new one has an extra post to the solenoid whereas the old one just had the post to to ignition.

Here is a photo of what I'm referring to:
View attachment 16385

OK, if you are comparing the old Bendix style connections to this new HTGR/PMGR motor, then I see what you are asking about.

The bendix style motor does not incorporate a solenoid. It requires a switching device only...... of which is an electro-magnetic type contacting device!
With the HTGR/PMGR motor, it does incorporate a solenoid.
This solenoid kicks the pinion gear out into the ring gear while simultaneously completing the armature circuit.

That small terminal that you have circled in red would be the "S" terminal.

(with the old Bendix unit, the "S" terminal would have been on the electro-magnetic contact device)

There will be a yellow circuit coming from your key switch "Start" position terminal. It will pass through your Neutral Safety Switch.
That is your "S" terminal conductor that will connect to the starter motor's small terminal.

Last edited:
OK, if you are comparing the old Bendix style connections to this new HTGR/PMGR motor, then I see what you are asking about.

The bendix style motor does not incorporate a solenoid. It requires a switching device only...... of which is an electro-magnetic type contacting device!
With the HTGR/PMGR motor, it does incorporate a solenoid.
This solenoid kicks the pinion gear out into the ring gear while simultaneously completing the armature circuit.

That small terminal that you have circled in red would be the "S" terminal.

(with the old Bendix unit, the "S" terminal would have been on the electro-magnetic contact device)

There will be a yellow circuit coming from your key switch "Start" position terminal. It will pass through your Neutral Safety Switch.
That is your "S" terminal conductor that will connect to the starter motor's small terminal.

Thanks Ricardo!

Talk about reviving an old thread :)
Ricardo, you have given great information and I hope you might have time for another. I want to move away from my 12v starter, the old standard and upgrade to the HTGR style (I like the saving on the battery-for other reasons) but I can't seem to find any crossover information from the old style to the new. I know that my old starter was a Wilson 91-06-1882, but I can't seem to locate a comparable HTGR. Please help, and thank you in advance.

Que Pasa, I just did a search for the Wilson 91-06-1882...... Lots for John Deere, International, etc.... but nothing for Marine.

It would be best to start a new thread. Verify the p/n when you start your new thread.

List your engine and rotation.

I/B or I/O.

And perhaps a photo of you existing starter motor.

Back