MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Chrysler parts and manuals!

Default Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter

I just sold my boat and found a Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter in the shed that I bought as a spare. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in it. I paid $250 and I'd like to get $150 for it, does that sound reasonable... its new old stock as they say. I would even ship it for free! I posted it in the classified section also.

HEAVY-DUTY
    Part # 50109
    Fits: Chrysler
    318 /360 Marine V8

2 bolt mount, 1 threaded hole
    12 Volt, CW rotation
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5L55G45Q13Ee3M13H5c8v6be2a49efd761460.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	5360

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5L85Ie5N43I63L43Nfc8vcb00c3019dcc1694.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	5361
    1965 Egg Harbor 37'
    Twin Chrysler 360's

Default Re: Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter

This is certainly not what you'll want to hear, but IMO, it will be tuff to off an old style Bendix Drive starter motor these days when the HTGR/PMGR motors are about 2/3's the price, and will usually kick a$$ over the Bendix style, regarding cranking speeds.
    Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP's

I guess you're right I've never priced the HTGR/PMGR motors. Maybe someone will just make a reasonable offer. I hate to just let it sit and rust.
    1965 Egg Harbor 37'
    Twin Chrysler 360's

I hear ya. I got stuck with one years ago, and I finally gave it away.
    Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by JCosta View Post
    I guess you're right I've never priced the HTGR/PMGR motors. Maybe someone will just make a reasonable offer. I hate to just let it sit and rust.
    Lots of nice old "restored" boats at boat shows.
    Might try inquiring places like at the bottom of this page ..............................

http://www.outboardracing.com/links.htm

or...........

http://www.chryslercrew.com/

There is noting wrong about your starter! My 1946 Gar Wood has over 4500 hrs and only had it's starter rebuilt once! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	252512_1762657068664_3495536_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	5362

Daves69: Thanks for the info I'll give them a look.

Tahoerover: I know what your saying... My 360's ran for many years with the old starters. That's why I had this one left over in the shed... Maybe someone can use it.
    1965 Egg Harbor 37'
    Twin Chrysler 360's

JCosta and the rest of you....... let me clarify here if I may, and No offense to any of you who prefer or like the Bendix units.

There is nothing wrong, per 'se, with the quality of the Bendix style starter motors. They work as intended.
    What I'm suggesting (or suggested), would be that if you are in need of replacing or re-building a Bendix drive starter motor, that in today's world I would simply replace a Bendix unit with a High Torque Gear Reduction/Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction unit.

The Bendix requires dang near full battery voltage in order to kick the drive gear into the flywheel.
    The armature is large, and offers lots of power, but these are a 1:1 armature to pinion ratio.

Whereas the HTGR uses the solenoid lever action, and an approximate 3 X's armature speed with gear reduction to the pinion drive.
    These will generally spin the engine over at a higher cranking RPM.
    Some test results will even show a lessor required current draw for the HTGR units, of which means that they'll crank an engine over on a lower-than-normal battery bank.

If you are old enough to remember the autos and farm tractors that used a Bendix style starter motor, you'll know what I mean.

If your Bendix drive motor is working well, then that's great!

Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon

Sent A pm!
    Bob

All the HTGR starters I have seen for for less than main stream applications are built on a cheap Chinese starter. They simply change out the gear and mounting block. There not a high quality starter and have a high rate of failure.

They all use the same gear drive and motor with a special gear drive and mounting plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Speedway...m=200812661717

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-MGBGT-GE...r#ht_942wt_908

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-64-65-...#ht_1843wt_952

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIPPO-STYLE-...r#ht_500wt_969
    Last edited by Tahoerover; 09-02-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Like I said... no offense intended to anyone who prefers the old 1930's style Bendix Drive starter motors. They do as intended.

You'd be hard pressed to find any engine manufacturer today who uses the Bendix style motor.... Auto or Marine.

This is one of the better direct engine mounted motors, IMO, and does not use a planetary gear reduction system.

Likewise with this style.

Some of these do use a planetary reduction system that incorporates a nylon ring gear that can be problematic.
    The tell tale signs are often no offset between the armature and pinion gear. You can, however, find these that use all steel gears.

But again, if you prefer the Bendix style, then I'd stay with it.

Last edited by RicardoMarine; 09-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon

But we are not talking about a modern marine engine!!!! Chrysler Marine closed it's doors thirty years ago! Your recommendation to use Chinese crap is just wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoerover View Post

1. But we are not talking about a modern marine engine!!!!
    2. Chrysler Marine closed it's doors thirty years ago!
    3. Your recommendation to use Chinese crap is just wrong!
    1. Actually, I'm presenting this for any year model engine (modern day or old day) that may have been OEM with a Bendix Drive starter motor, but lends itself to a HTGR replacement.

2. Moot point for this conversation! We're talking about replacement starter motors.... Bendix Drive -vs- a HTGR!

3. No where did I suggest Chinese. I dislike many of the Chinese products just as the next guy does.

The original conversation began between JCosta and myself, and was prefaced by "IMO" and also "No Offense to any of those who like the Bendix Drive motors".

For me, I find myself considering that there must be good reason that the I/B and I/O industry has been, and is still using the HTGR motors in lieu of the Bendix style. I'll also suggest that the Engineers have certainly given this some thought!

Like said multiple times now..... if you like the Bendix Drive starter motors, then I'd certainly stick with them. They are still available and perhaps will be for years. We can find a mix of them right along with the HTGR motors.

Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoMarine View Post
    The original conversation began between JCosta and myself, and was prefaced by "IMO" and also "No Offense to any of those who like the Bendix Drive motors".

For me, I find myself considering that there must be good reason that the I/B and I/O industry has been, and is still using the HTGR motors in lieu of the Bendix style. I'll also suggest that the Engineers have certainly given this some thought!

Like said multiple times now..... if you like the Bendix Drive starter motors, then I'd certainly stick with them. They are still available and perhaps will be for years. We can find a mix of them right along with the HTGR motors.

Rick, Could you (or anyone else) recommend a source for an HTGR starter for my LM440? I'm hoping to see one under the tree later this month Will the units offered for the M360 fit and work?

I'd like to upgrade from my Bendix drive unit for added dependability. Although my B-drive works, it is not always dependable for quick starts-key word "always.

Thanks, Noel.

Noel, try your local Marine Parts supplier. They'll know exactly what you want, if they are up to speed on this.

Otherwise, do a search for Inboard Starter Motors.
    The key words will be: Chrysler Marine Inboard Starter Motor, HTGR (high torque gear reduction) or PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction).

They will look similar to these. The armatures will be considerably smaller in diameter than that of the older Bendix or solenoid lever action of similar vintage.

This first one is Chrysler Marine.

Rick ... aka Ricardo
    Portland, Oregon

Maybe someone doing a to the time period restoration needs one to be cosmetically correct.