Logo

Convert 7.4L to 8.1 liter "wet" to "dry" joint exhuast manifold ?

Bassman12

Can anyone tell me if I can convert* 7.4L exhaust manifolds and risers with "wet joint" gaskets to new design 8.1 liter exhaust manifolds and risers with "dry joints"
The exhaust manifold gasket is the same so the exhaust port pitch (spacing)*isnt an issue.** Seems like only minor plumping issues (?)

Im trying to permantely solve the problem of leaky gaskets causing hydrolock.
Thanks

I was holding off to see if anyone answered, but not yet so I will jump in with my limited knowledge...
I have 2009 dry joint Mercruiser 4.3 manifolds fitted to my 1984 3.8 V6 (MR185) engine, bolted to a 1992 Alpha Gen 2 transom, but I also used the 2009 Y pipe that came with the manifolds (I bought manifolds and y pipe as a set).
I suppose you would want to confirm the Y pipe fitment to the newer risers. Otherwise probably fine.

I was holding off to see if anyone answered, but not yet so I will jump in with my limited knowledge...
I have 2009 dry joint Mercruiser 4.3 manifolds fitted to my 1984 3.8 V6 (MR185) engine, bolted to a 1992 Alpha Gen 2 transom, but I also used the 2009 Y pipe that came with the manifolds (I bought manifolds and y pipe as a set).
I suppose you would want to confirm the Y pipe fitment to the newer risers. Otherwise probably fine.

Ayuh,.... I donno how those line up with whatever y-pipe ya start with,...
It might take different elbow adapters...

I hear the "Dry-Joint is a Great idea, 'n Big improvement over the gasketed sets...

Back