Logo

18 hp nissan 4 stroke leaking carb

Marty75

I had a leaking carb when I pumped the bulb and as it ran. Bulb wouldn't keep prime. I broke down carb cleaned carb and float. Now bulb still want stay primed and carb no longer leaking but seems to not be getting gas
Gas is making it through hose to connection at carb but will not crank unless you chock it at breather.

You need to clean the carb correctly. If priming caused fuel to spill, the float/needle was probably stuck. Cleaning the bowl and float does not address that. If choke is needed to run, you are too lean... possibly fouled idle circuit in the carb. Start with a thorough and complete carb disassembly (including jets and emulsion tube nozzle, etc.) and inspection. Then a 4-hour soak of all non-rubber parts in real carb dip, followed by a liberal spray-out with generic carb spray. Then do a careful reassembly, paying close attention to float height.

If the primer won't firm up, there is either an air leak on the suction side (can be tricky to find), a fuel leak on the pressure side (obvious by fuel dripping), or a defective check valve in the bulb (likely issue in your case). That may or may not be serious, but should be investigated.

Last edited:
Back