Logo

'01 Merc 200 2 stroke start/run problems

Foreverstrung

I've got a '01 Mercury 200 salt water, carbed 2 stroke. The last couple times out I was only at about 60% power. 28 MPH full throttle. should be 45 MPH full throttle. Have not started it for 2 weeks and today it would not spark at all. Checked primer bulb and gas was flowing though bulb never got hard. New plugs 3 months ago. Rebuilt carbs and fuel pump as well.
Could it be the fuel lines cracked and getting air? How would I check and locate this possible damaged area? If so, why would I not get any spark? Some gas appeared to be getting to the motor.
appreciate ya

If so, why would I not get any spark?
No spark at all or a coil or two not firing? A single bad coil can cause another adjacent one not to fire. Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like...they can tell you alot. Float needle valve not closing could cause the bulb not to get firm.

I'm not sure of the firing order, but 4 of the 6 cylinders had 60 PSI and the 2 furthast aft, on the motor, left and right, measured 70 PSI. (I pulled all 6 plugs out and checked the compression one cylinder at a time). I didn't have the right tool to measure the spark, but while idleing, all six plug wires, when removed from the plug, one at a time, gave a nice audible "clicking". Very bright out today. Couldn't see the spark, but I could hear it. Ran it off a porable tank. Dueched the carburater jets with carb cleaner. Put her all back together and let her idle for a half hour or so again. Took her out and on the bay, top speed was only 28 MPH, should be closer to 40 MPH. She stalled. Took about 3 minutes to start her back up and just took her home nice and easy with no issues. Didn't open her up again, but she ran at about 5 MPH with a steady purr, but very reluctantant to hit the gas. Does it sound like I might have run some foul gas through the carbs? Maybe let it sit too long, (gas in carbs and fuel lines)? Appreciate the help[imghttp://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/hardie775/IMG_20120830_181652.jpg?t=1346378441][/img]

but 4 of the 6 cylinders had 60 PSI and the 2 furthast aft, on the motor, left and right, measured 70 PSI
With throttle wide open? Your engine is tired...you want compression over 100 psi. The plug 2nd from left is standing out.

Someone else asked about "Throttle wide open". If I have the motor in gear at all, which is also my throttle, the key will not engage. Am I missing something here? Can I open up the throttle on a Morse SL3 controler?
OK Found the manual for the Morse shifter/throttle. There is a a safety button in the center of the handle which allows throttle without engaging the gears. Used for warming up etc. I'll go run the compression check again this afternoon with this new knowledge and report back. Appreciate the help. Sorry for the appearence of "Stupid". Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

Back