Logo

Cable steering system update or re-string

Bombdigitty

I have an old cable style steering system as seen in the photo's. years ago the cable was replaced and I think the wrong type of cable was used (Twisted wire instead of braded) Anyways as seen in the picture the wire twists and makes it hard to turn.

Im wondering if i am right in my thoughts about the wrong cable being used or if this is caused by a diffenent problem.

So is it time to update to a new system or replace cable again?

What are your thoughts?

that is ancient technology...I think you will find an upgraded system offers huge benefits...if you are a cost is no object kind, and the boats in good shape, a hydraulic system would be the cadillac approach. If you are budget minded, a teleflex safe-t type of system would be a huge improvement.

I think hydraulic is a little out of my range. Would the teleflex system require replacing the steering wheel, or would that be adaptable?

That looks like about a 50hp motor? Putting hydraulic on something like that is just a waste of money. And, for the record, yeah, that is ancient technology, but it works on low hp motors. You could just hit a marine dealer for new cable, or you could replace the steering with a single cable rotary or rack and pinion steering. As to keeping the old steering wheel, it depends on the wheel. I kinda doubt that the old wheel will fit the new system.

I've had the old style like yours on one 15' boat, with a 50, and the newer single cable teleflex rotary helm system on an almost identical boat with an identical 50 hp. Go for the newer style, there was a big difference in handling and control.

Just my 2 cents.
Bill

The proper stuff to use is called ----" tiller cable "----------Not just the same as clothes line stuff !!----Visit a proper marine dealer in order to get the " good stuff " -they will know what you need !

Thanks for the reply's. That single cable style is what I was thinking about upgrading to, but I dont think i want to loose my old steering wheel.

I think over this winter I will try and re-string the existing setup. I think when it was last done clothsline was used, and that is the problem.

Back