Logo

Gt 40 5.8 starts but imediately dies

Bigbyrdturds

The motors starts and runs while the key is in the start position but dies as soon as the key is returned to the run position. There is good fuel pressure. There is spark until the motor stops turning over. Is there a particular sensor that fails often? Does anyone have any ideas?

"There is spark until the motor stops turning over. " do you mean the engine dies but spark is present or the engine dies from lack of spark when the key is released to RUN?

Any codes present in the ECU?

How did you ascertain "good fuel pressure"?

The motors starts and runs while the key is in the start position but dies as soon as the key is returned to the run position. There is good fuel pressure. There is spark until the motor stops turning over. Is there a particular sensor that fails often? Does anyone have any ideas?

My engine did this exact same thing and it drove me crazy for about an hour on the lake one day... then I tracked it down to the tether kill switch! It was just barely slipped to one side but still connected (it hadn't fallen or come loose). That was just enough to allow the button on the switch to pop out enough to close the switch and cause the super-frustrating problem. I repositioned the tether clip making sure the switch was pushed in all the way and everything went back to normal. I HOPE THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM. IT SURE BEATS AN EXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE!

Back