Logo

1963 5HP SeaKing fwd gear problem

winman99

Regular Contributor
I picked a model 1963 GG18801A 5hp today that looked promising. It fired right up and pumped out lots of water, good start right? The problem is that neutral and reverse are fine, but it grinds when I try to put it into forward. I made sure I gave it a good quick shove, but it doesn't want to go. The motor is idling nice and low, so that's not the issue.

My questions are:

1. Does anybody out there have an exploded view of this motor? Is it the same as an equivalent Johnson/Evinrude? I want to know what I'm getting into before I start. Yes, I know about it being made by the Gale division of OMC.

2. Does anybody have any good advice on where to start?

While I'm at it. Does anybody know if I have to take the motor off to get at the shift linkage to change the impeller? If I'm going in, I may as well install a new impeller as well.

Thanks in advance for any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Look thru this engine and see if the gearbox is the same as yours. Good luck on finding a parts diagram for your engine it is a 1963 seaking produced by Gale. I am not for sure but you might be able to use many of the parts from the same year evinrude or johnson I will get you a link for a number you can call for any and all info you need.

I'm not sure what you mean by look through this engine.... :)

Back