Logo

1989 Evinrude 70 HP

G

Gerald Cromer

" A friend has just been given

" A friend has just been given a boat with a 70 HP that has been stored for the past 7 - 8 years. It was run dry on the gas before it was stored.

The bill of sale showed it to be a 1989 70 HP model E70TLCEM S/N G022780216... It is supposed to have only 10 to 15 hours on it. This motor has VRO also.

After putting oil in the clyinders and changing the oil in the lower unit, no water in the lower unit, it fired right up. The motor was cold
natured and I had to keep chokeing it untill it warmed up. The water started to pee out shortly after the stat opened up.

The motor idled at what I thought was very high. About 1200 to 1500 RPM's, and it wouldn't idle down.

I checked the linkage to see it I could idle it down but didn't see any adjustment screws. The roller was against the cam and where the arrow is, so I backed off the cam to make sure that the butterflies were closed. I looked in the front of the carburetors to check that also and the looked closed. I didn't see any low speed mixture adjustments either. Did I overlook something????

The high speed idle wasn't the smoothest, but wasn't bad. As if the mixture adjustment needed tweeking a little.

Where is the high RPM's coming from, a air leakage some where. I think it's time for a after market manual.

How do I tell if the auto oiler is working OK other than it's smokeing a lot.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC "

Mix gas and oil at 50 to 1 an

Mix gas and oil at 50 to 1 and monitor oil level in the tank. There are no mixture adjustments on the carburetors.Adjusting to retard the timing should slow the motor down.

" Even though this motor was r

" Even though this motor was run dry, I would still bet there is some varnish and other junk in the carbs. Your high idle condition could very well be a matter of the motor running lean due to clogged jets. I would strongly urge taking the carbs apart, cleaning all parts in a good solvent and reinstalling with all new gaskets. Make sure to run a wire or drill bit of the the exact orifice size through the jets to dislodge all varnish and crud.

I think neutral idle should be around 1000RPM and forward gear idle at 750 RPM. "

I have the opportunity to cha

I have the opportunity to change my 1992 25 horse Johnson with a 1987 50 horse Johnson. Can I switch the outboards and adapt the older 50 to my newer steering and shift/throttle controls?

I have the opportunity to cha

I have the opportunity to change my 1992 25 horse Johnson with a 1987 50 horse Johnson. Can I switch the outboards and adapt the older 50 to my newer steering and shift/throttle controls?

Back