Logo

stuck in gear

dlw

Hello - I have a 72 Evinrude 9.9 that is stuck in Forward. Great little motor, starts right up and runs like a champ, but I can't get it out of gear. It used to be sticky moving from FWD to Neutral to Reverse but now it won't move at all - any suggestions?

Thanks!

OK - must be a 74 then.

The shifter does not move at all. it's stuck in forward so when I start it up it takes off right away. Not great at the dock but workable. concerned that something will break soon tho'

Have you taken the time to drain and refill the lower unit ??-----------There are some expensive parts in there and if you are running with water in there then ?????

Consider this...if you are running steel bearings and other steel parts in water instead of oil, what happens to the steel? Yup, it rusts, and seizes.

So, drain and refill the oil in the gearcase. Not a big deal to do, and at least you will know if that is the trouble.

If water in there..will need service...usually not a big deal on the smaller motors, depends whats needed. Seals, O rings, etc. And a water pump. Let us know what you find when you drain it.

What is the model # of this motor ??----------It should be easy to shift to nuetral if it is not running.-------Sounds like linkages may have been tampered with !!------May not even be connected to the lower unit.---Amazing things happen when folks start to work on motors.

thanks for your help! since it's a holiday weekend I just picked up a tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke and I'll run with that for the weekend - repairs can happen next week :)

Back