Logo

Best pump for removing oil from block

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I've got twin 1990, 454 Crusaders (FWC). I've always used an old hand pump to change the oil. I went to the marine store today to check out what they had. They have the hand pump type, one that attaches to a drill and one that has an electric pump that runs on a 12 volt battery. Anyone have an opinion on which one I should buy? Do all of them simply slide over the top of the dip stick tube? :confused:
Thanks,
Nightstalker

I use one motor's vacuum to suck the oil out of the other motor, then switch. For a receiver, I use an old, now illegal propane tank (free). The dirty oil stays in the tank until I get it home and transfer it to bottles for my recycler. Neat and quick.

Jeff

On another note, when you change the fuel/water seperator, do you shut off the fuel tank valve to prevent spillege, run the fuel lines dry first, or can you simply unscrew it and screw in a new one?
Nightstalker

I've got twin 1990, 454 Crusaders (FWC). I've always used an old hand pump to change the oil. I went to the marine store today to check out what they had. They have the hand pump type, one that attaches to a drill and one that has an electric pump that runs on a 12 volt battery. Anyone have an opinion on which one I should buy? Do all of them simply slide over the top of the dip stick tube? :confused:
Thanks,
Nightstalker
Ditto Chris on the vacuum unit, previously marketed by Tempo.
Connect up, pump the handle, sit back while it evacuates the oil.
596971.jpg

This, along with remote oil drain hoses attached directly to your oil pans, makes this easy, and with NO electrical pump connection.
I've converted mine to using the rubber hose with an SAE brass swivel fitting for the pump, and the SAE male fitting on the remote hoses.
A female SAE cap provides the stop for each remote hose.

These can also be used to start fuel flow, fuel siphoning, E/G purging when changing antifreeze, bilge water, and more.
I own two......
1 for feul/oil, 1 for water based liquids.

Being tall and narrow makes this a great tool to own.

The Big Daddy version is this FLUID EXTRACTOR-DISPENSER 8.8L

On another note, when you change the fuel/water seperator, do you shut off the fuel tank valve to prevent spillege, run the fuel lines dry first, or can you simply unscrew it and screw in a new one?
Nightstalker
There should be no need to shut off the fuel valve since you should have an anti-siphon valve on each fuel fitting/outlet.

For carbureted engines, start and shut down your engine prior to cartridge change so you have no issues with the air purging.
Pre-fill the cartridge to approx 80% or so.
Oil the rubber ring just as you would an oil filter.

Last edited:
I can tell you what NOT to get. I bought a hand pump for oil change at the marine section of Bass Pro. Good price but a piece of junk that leaks internally and is put together with glue and crimps so it cannot be serviced. I did use the drill style pump for 20 years on my mother's boat with success.

CaboJohn

I forgot the name of the oil changer I have but it is a 12v kind with the tube that goes inot the dipstick. I ordered it from West Marine and it was a bit pricey but it does the job fast. I have had it for a few years now and it does one heck of a job.

Probably a Jabsco ? I had one for 2 years before it failed and then picked up another which looks like a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. On the lid is a 12V rubber impeller driven pump with a reversing switch. When it works with warm oil...it works very very well. Cold oil takes 3 times longer and the big problem is that it is top heavy UNTIL it has oil in it. Although it is 4 years old and has not been a problem, I like the Tempo as well. Jeff's idea is great and he may have posted a plan of it somewhere if I remember correctly

With seven boats in the family, I change a ton of oil! I built my own for less than 40.00. It's 12 years old and has never let me down. It will pull five quarts out in under one minute.

Scrap plywood,old jug, and a Flojet pump off of E-Bay

Attachments

• oilpump.jpg
    oilpump.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,697
Probably a Jabsco ? I had one for 2 years before it failed and then picked up another which looks like a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. On the lid is a 12V rubber impeller driven pump with a reversing switch. When it works with warm oil...it works very very well. Cold oil takes 3 times longer and the big problem is that it is top heavy UNTIL it has oil in it. Although it is 4 years old and has not been a problem, I like the Tempo as well. Jeff's idea is great and he may have posted a plan of it somewhere if I remember correctly

I have the same one and it works fine, but pricey at $160 at West marine. I purchased a different one prior and it leaked all over, so I returned it for the more expensive one. If I would have researched a bit, I would have gone with a pump typ like the ones above, and a lot cheaper too.

Which ever pump you use, be forewarned that the oil MUST be hot or you will not be able to suck it out!

Jeff

PS: Just did both engines with my homemade rig. Cost was about 10 bucks. I use an old, now illegal propane tank that one can get for nothing. Since I have twins, I use the vacuum from one motor to suck the oil out of the other one (then switch engines. With my old single screw boat, I used my car for the vacuum function.)

Attachments

• oil-tank.jpg
    oil-tank.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 28,144
Which ever pump you use, be forewarned that the oil MUST be hot or you will not be able to suck it out!

Jeff

PS: Just did both engines with my homemade rig. Cost was about 10 bucks. I use an old, now illegal propane tank that one can get for nothing. Since I have twins, I use the vacuum from one motor to suck the oil out of the other one (then switch engines. With my old single screw boat, I used my car for the vacuum function.) The oil/ air separator (shown in the photo) was found to be unnecessary and removed. Oil comes into the tank via the center via a drop tube that goes to the bottom; the side fitting is where air is sucked out of the top of the tank. Works slick!

Jeff, it sounds like you must fire up a second engine for the vacuum source, and that it would require removing the plumbing in order to drain the oil from the propane cylinder.

Wouldn't it be much easier for you if you purchased a $55 Oil Boy, or equivilant?

Don't get me wrong..... I like your enginuity.

The tank holds all of the oil, which I remove later, at home, and at my convenience. And plugs placed in the hoses keep it from leaking into the trunk of my WIFE'S car.

Since you have to warm the oil anyhow, the "vacuum pump" motor is being warmed up as it sucks out the oil from the othe motor.

Jeff

PS: Another nice feature is the system's ability to suck the oil out of the old filter, and the drain pan that goes below the filter as it is unscrewed.

A friend gave me a Slurper oil extraction unit. No battery required, just air pressure. Pressurize the tank which somehow creates a vacuum and can supposedly pump both engines dry with one pressurization. I haven't used it yet. The hose that is on it now has screw type fitting for attaching to the threaded type of dip sticks which my Crusaders don't have. Normally I use that Jabsco bucket style with a motor/pump mounted on the top. Anyone have any experience with The Slurper?

Attachments

• The Slurper.JPG
    The Slurper.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,044
Jeff,

I was looking at your picture and drawing...is it possible that the oil can be drawn into the carb or is there a separation between the in and out "t" ? OR, is that the job of the separator attached to the "vac" line?

Jeff, I especially enjoyed the part about; "the trunk of my WIFE'S car." :D

Knuckle, I think that Jeff's "dip tube" (aka pipe to tank bottom tube), and the fact that his suction occurs up high, is what actually prevents any oil from entering the vacuum supplying engine.
If his tank was to become full, then yes..... that engine may pull oil in.
Maybe that's how Jeff fogs that one engine! :D :D :D

To be honest, I once stupidly hooked the wrong hose to the vacuum pump motor and boy did it smoke! Normally, however--meaning, when I'm paying attention--there's no oil is sucked through. (That's why I was able to eliminate that air/ oil filter.)

All in all, a very effective system that has been copied by many delighted boaters! Should have pattened it.

Jeff

PS: The tank is less than half full with all 12 quarts of oil in it.

Well, then I have my answers. I know I no longer have one of those tanks but can you remove the valves from a newer style and go from there or is there a known reason that won't work?

You know, Even though I did read the caption that the pipe goes to the bottom of the tank, my brain saw the dashed line and made me think "path of free falling oil"....duh !

Well, then I have my answers. I know I no longer have one of those tanks but can you remove the valves from a newer style and go from there or is there a known reason that won't work?

You know, Even though I did read the caption that the pipe goes to the bottom of the tank, my brain saw the dashed line and made me think "path of free falling oil"....duh !

Ayuh,.... The 20lb. propane tanks are pretty much all the same, just under 5 gallons, 'n a 3/4" pipe threaded hole...

The ole non-opd valved tanks are a dime a dozen around yer local trash place or scrap yard...

Nightstalker

Ayuh,.... I loosen the filter, 'n take the wrench off, then slip a plastic freezer bag 'round it, 'n spinnin' it off...
Zip up the bag, 'n turn it over to look for water...
The anti-siphon valve, 'n the natural vacuum stops any flow... 'course, the filter ain't off for long, 'fore the new 1 is on...

To get back to topic,... Ditto the Oil filter....

I've got a suction unit that looks exactly like Ricks picture above,...

I use it not only on boats, but on the heavey equipment I gotta wrench on...
It's Handy as 'ell, 'n holdin' up Well, so far...

Last edited:
So, they've been getting all of your attention while we.... Never mind; glad you're back!

Ayuh!

Jeff

Ayuh,.... You know how it is Jeff,...

Never enough hours in a day to get yer work done, A n d post a comment in every 1 of the forums,....

Lately it's been dawn til dark, then hope to cruise a couple dozen forums, 'n it's time for bed...:rolleyes:

Back