Logo

Fits starting my 1997 Johnson 50 HP

gtmcx2

Please help with a solution to the following. My boat often sits idle in the lake for 2, 3, 4 weeks at a time. When going to start it, and following the directions that I was told by the mechanic, this motor often takes 20-30 minutes or longer of starting attempts before it runs. The choke is working, I've tried with and without pumping the gas primer, Gas is fresh and have even used stabil.

Once running I can stop and start all day long without issues, but once I let it sit and return a few weeks later it will not fire up as it should.

Starting procedure:

Pump the fuel primer bulb up untl it is hard.

Engine should have the "Fast Start" feature whereas the timing is automatically advanced when the engine is cold so as to obtain a fast idle.... no need to advance the throttle slightly.

Any engine without the "Fast Start" feature.... advance the throttle slightly to take engine off of the dead idle setting.

Turn key to the START position and push the key in and hold it there to enable the "Primer Solenoid" to supply additional fuel to the cylinders on a cold start.

When the engine fires and starts, release the key to the RUN position. It may be necessary to push the key in to engage the Primer Solenoid momentarily until the engine warms up. The engine should start within six (6) reolutions.

NOTE: Engaging the electric starter for a period exceeding 20 seconds runs the risk of overheating its armature.

What is your present starting procedure? You haven't explained exactly what it is.

Sorry for lack of detail information.... my starting procedure is exactly as you have posted. It must not have the fast start feature, as I was instructed to advance to the throttle approx 1/3rd. The reason I have tried with and without pumping the fuel primer is in either situation, I can eventually see the sheen of gas on the water.

The fuel primer solenoid has two small hoses leading to some point at the intake manifold, most likely to a small brass fitting on the top rear portion of the carburetors. With the fuel primer bulb pumped up hard, pull one of those small hoses off of that fitting... then (engine NOT running) while watching the end of that hose (with the key in the RUN position) push the key in to activate the fuel primer solenoid.

Fuel should have shot out of the end of that hose when you pushed the key in. Did it?

The gasket(s) between the carburetor and the intake manifold must have a small hole in it so that the primer fuel can pass thru it to and thru the intake manifold to the crankcase, pistons, etc.

If fuel did shoot out of the hose when you pushed the key in but the engine did not prime properly (my assumtion), I would suspect that someone has at some time had the carburetors off and installed the old style carburetor to intake manifold gaskets that DO NOT have that primer solenoid access hole. If so, the primer fuel cannot function.

Thank You, I will verify upon my next trip up to the lake. We did buy this motor from a marine shop and I suspect that they may have used the wrong gasket as you stated. Thanks again and will be in touch should there be further issues.

Back