Logo

Identifying old engine

sea pigeon

Hi there, I am in the UK, hope someone can help. Bought a boat with an Evinrude Motor, it states 50 HP on the engine cover but model number is BE40ELCD serial number is G1071975 and under that it says Outboard Marine Corporation USA. Typed this model No. in the search section and it comes back as not recognised. Does this make it a 40HP and the year 1975? I would be most grateful for any help or info. Kind regards.

The 1975 in the serial # has nothing to do with the year.---------The model # is used to determine the year and to me it looks to be an 86 model.--------Picture of the motor always helps.

Many thanks for replies, much appreciated. Kimcrwbr1 - I think it is this one and I will take some photos as racerone suggests. Kind regards. sea pigeon.

Had a fellow come by with a motor and said it was a 1979 model 25 HP and had put 79 decals on it based on last 4 digits ( 1979 ) in the serial #.--------Told him after one glance at the motor and the MODEL # that it was a 1992 model.

Hi there, just updating this post with some pictures (I can send more). Model number is BE40ELCD. I would be most grateful for any information regarding positve ID also buying a Workshop Manual. As you can see it is off the Boat and in need of a bit work:rolleyes:, it will be a winter project. Many thanks and regards. sea pigeon

5wj7eh.jpg
[/URL]
j909dj.jpg
[/URL]
357rml5.jpg
[/URL]
t5hfh2.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks racerone, I will post picture of cover but it has 50HP on it and it seems, by the model number, to be a 40HP. Any advice on the manual? Regards. -- sea pigeon

Get the factory manual.-----------------It is the best and they do not confuse you with pictures and information for other motors.-------------After looking at the pictures again it can not be newer than an 88 model.----Then again the engine itself appears to have pieces on it ( ignition mounting box / plate ) that are from an 89 and up.----So it is quite possible that the powerhead was replaced.--------Get a manual for an 88 model !

Last edited:
Back