Logo

5.0 Mercruiser Fuel Pump wont shut off

Todd Sabo

Hello there, I have a 2001 5.0 Mercruiser 305. I was cleaning out the bilge under the engine yesterday and some water splashed up on the engine area. The fuel pump turned on and will not shut off now even with the key in the off position.

I did some research about this problem and most of the time it is due to the relay. Tapping it, resetting or replacing usually does the trick. The problem is I can't find the relay and am not sure that my motor has one. I looked up with parts catalog with the motor serial number(0M079776) and couldn't find a relay part listed.

Maybe I'm overlooking something(like finding the relay) or it doesn't have one? Any guidance on locating it or an alternate solution without having to replace the pump would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

Hello there, I have a 2001 5.0 Mercruiser 305. I was cleaning out the bilge under the engine yesterday and some water splashed up on the engine area. The fuel pump turned on and will not shut off now even with the key in the off position.

I did some research about this problem and most of the time it is due to the relay. Tapping it, resetting or replacing usually does the trick. The problem is I can't find the relay and am not sure that my motor has one. I looked up with parts catalog with the motor serial number(0M079776) and couldn't find a relay part listed.

Maybe I'm overlooking something(like finding the relay) or it doesn't have one? Any guidance on locating it or an alternate solution without having to replace the pump would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

Ayuh,..... Carbed,..?? Efi,..?? Mpi,..??

Ayuh,..... Carbed,..?? Efi,..?? Mpi,..??

Sorry, It's Carb, and so I found out there's no relay. I've disconnected the pump from the battery, so it doesn't run. The engine starts up and runs fine(when I reconnect the pump), however when I turn the key off the motor doesn't shut off. I have to try starting it again(grinding the starter) while the motor is running and then turning the key to the off position for the engine to turn off.

The fuel pump also makes a whining noise...not sure if that's normal as I didn't notice it before.

Thanks,

Todd

however when I turn the key off the motor doesn't shut off.
Look for a short around the starter...you must have bumped a loose wire or some conductive debris was splashed on the wire connections.

Look for a short around the starter...you must have bumped a loose wire or some conductive debris was splashed on the wire connections.

I found it and giyig was correct. It was a loose wire around the starter that was causing the short. Thanks all for the contributions. :D

Back