Logo

Coolant Leak

Guythunder

I have a 2000 Marine Power Motor in a Thunder Jet, It's a 7.4 Vortex V-8 340 HP. I am losing a little coolant from my fresh water cooling system, I have looked and looked and can't seam to find it. Does anybody have a trick for looking for a coolant leaks, It's not a lot about a gallon every month of running and that's more than I care to lose, I like to keep everything Ship Shape.

get a radiator pressure tester, a roll of white paper towels, a flashlight, and a mechanic's mirror. hook up the tester and spread a layer of paper towels under the engine...They will show you any leak. From there, use the mirror and light to find the source. Remember, gravity pulling the coolant down may alter the path it takes...hose clamps not being fully tightened or worn out are common sources of slow weeps.

Thanks for the advice I will give it a shot. It isn't easy to see much on this engine it sets in a Jet Boat, Looks like they put the motor in then built the boat arounf it. I will give you idea a try. Thanks.

A gallon every month is beyond excessive.
If the leak is internal, such as a head gasket issue, it may not show up externally.

At the cost of few phone calls only, you may be able to find someone with analyzing equipment that can test for combustion product gasses within the coolant system.
They may also be able to test the exhaust gasses for the presence of Ethylene Glycol.

Back