Logo

Chrysler 45 running rough

I thought I had done everything according to the book as far as tuning the engine, but it still runs rough
and feels, "out of time". It starts every time right on the first turn but then starts to "miss" a couple
times on about every forth rotation causing a sort of knocking sound. The book describes the timing
plan and how to time it with the timing tool, which I don't have. My question is, is there any way to time the engine without that tool?? I don't know if they still make the tool. mm

The timing tool is for finding TDC.
You can use a screw driver to do it too.
It just measures the piston for max travel towards the head.
Do a compression and then a spark test.
Comp #s should be close to each other.
Both within a few pounds of each other.

Spark should be bright blue and strong.
A spark tester is about $6
Spark should measure 7/16"

Then check the fuel pump diaphram.
Air screw(top front of carb) out 1 turn to start.

Do this and post the results.

Hi Jerry,

I´m facing the same probleme ! Changed all ! necessary parts, but I still have those knocking sounds, especially , when I throttle down, have a look at the video. When I shake at the fly wheel, I have a little play, maybe it´s worn out bearings ?? Thanks for your comments ! [video]https://www.dropbox.com/home/Chrysler?preview=IMG_3385.MOV[/video]

Comp #s should be close to each other. > It´s 8 bar / 116 psi each ( cold engine)
Both within a few pounds of each other.

Spark should be bright blue and strong. > both sparks are ok
Spark should measure 7/16" > they do

Then check the fuel pump diaphram. > it´s new
Air screw(top front of carb) out 1 turn to start. > did it !, also changed & checked the timers , fixed the ignition point like written in the Clymer manual to 32° before tdc
Do this and post the results.> still the same problem !

Maybe it has to do with the fact, that the ignigtion point doesn´t get adapted when i just move the throttle ? I´ve never tried out what is happening when i use the boat on water .....

Please give me assistance, I´m going crazy...........:mad:

Back