Logo

ignition switch wiring 40 hp 1969 johnson

gvb

I have a 40 hp johnson outboard 40esl69r. Ignition switch went bad and I have purchased a new one
from sierra, new one has 6 terminals old switch has 5 terminals. Need to know how to wire the sw.

Any help would be appreciated, boat is a 1969 larson runabout.

GVB

I assume that your old controls include a separate switch for the choke, if so..............

You can either ignore the "C" terminal of the new switch OR.............

Dischard the old choke switch and wire the choke wire leading from the engine to that old choke switch to the "C" terminal of the new switch. This will allow you to engage the choke by simply pushing in the ignition key.

Your choice.

Thanks for the info fellows, I need to know where the different colored wires go to terminals.

Thanks again. Forty horse johnson with electric shift, model # 40ESL69R.

GVB

Allways disconnect the battery and never apply power to the two Magneto wires they are for the kill circuit only if you short them to bat pos you will be changing a coil or two. Six terminal is push to choke you can use the old choke switch for a horn or something. Just make sure everything is wired correct double checked before you connect the battery.

Kim....not to butt in here...but you mention the kill circuit. The each coil has two small wires...one black (ground) and the other blue. Do you short the blue ones to ground for the kill function? Is it that simple? I was thinking that maybe the kill was up under the flywheel on the arm plate....

Edit.....looking at the drawings....weird....no spark plugs shown....very weird.
Also, I must be dealing with a different ign system. I have two coils separately mounted on the head, with short plug wires going to plugs.
The coils I have are as described above.

But the simple question...how does the kill circuit work on the points/magneto ignition system?

Last edited:
I am wiring a push choke to Yamaha 25hp 2stroke and wiring is confusing me-got red,white,green,yellow,black& brown , which wire goes to choke on switch

Back