Logo

outdrive oil leak in the bilge

seidh

I have a Merc 7.4L (2000)*and B 3 (2009). I noticed some drive oil in the bilge, port side (my bilge*is kinda separated in two - port and starboard). Hoping the leak is at the bottle, I checked the hose, replaced the clamp, cleaned the bottle and added some gear oil. After running for an hour, I noticed drive oil in the bilge again, and the bottle area and hose were clean. I cleaned the bilge and lower transom and looked with flashlight and noticed some drive oil coming down the transom. I tried to look/feel the hose connector at the transom assembly, it is on starboard side next to the water intake hose connector, and it looked ok.
Oil level in the bottle dropped, it looks like there is no water in the oil. It apears that the leak is either from somewhere in the transom assembly or maybe from the outdrive upper shaft seal (yoke seal)? Any thoughts?
Since I'm in the middle of a good fishing season, (I keep the boat in the water) I was wandering if I can keep using the boat (cleaning the bilge and adding drive oil into the bottle) for another*couple of months before I haul it out and have the leak fixed .
Thanks,
Seid

or maybe from the outdrive upper shaft seal (yoke seal)?
Probable location of the leak.
I was wandering if I can keep using the boat (cleaning the bilge and adding drive oil into the bottle) for another*couple of months before I haul it out and have the leak fixed .
Go ahead...someone will be glad to sell you a new OD if the seal blows at 4500 RPM. Get it fixed.

Chances are the quick connect on the lube line in the bilge is cracked. Head over to your local Merc dealer with your serial number and purchase a new one, Its inexpensive, so you know what you are looking for.

sounds like the problem i had,it was the line from the bottle to the outdrive on mine it was leaking where it was hooked to the outdrive, the hose was $ 1.61 labor was $150.00 there u go, good luck to ya

Back