Logo

9.8 4-stroke Fuel lines in the engine getting gummy / disintegrating - best replacement?

Sean McDaniel

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, but need some advice. I want to replace the fuel lines inside the cowling with something that is more resistant to this crappy alcohol laden fuel. I have started running ethanol free fuel, but I still have issues with this hose breaking down. It had welded itself to the carb nipple when I recently pulled the carb off to clean out a clogged idle jet. I suspect a bit of this hose is what is causing my clogging. Any recommendations? This is the A2 model if it matters.

Thanks

Sean

Sean,

The fuel hose used on these motors has always been resistant to 10% E. It will react to aggressive solvents such as acetone, but that stuff typically isn't present in pump gas in significant quantities. There is a new hose being used in 2012, which is EPA "low permeability" compliant. You could order 98AB501000M FUEL PIPE 5MM (1 EA.=1 METER) $10.50.

It's not unusual for the hose to stick to the brass inlet on the carbs, BTW. A skilled technician will not pull the hose off, but rather push it off, releasing the stuck hose with minimal damage.

Back