Logo

'97 5.7L EFI engine- replacing slave solenoid within an electrical box mounted on manifold

david_ray

Regular Contributor
Between almost continuous rain squalls (working in the open), I am trying to replace the slave solenoid on my recently acquired SeaRay 240 deck boat. I located it in the bottom of a metal electrical box which holds several components. What should be a 20 minute job looks like it may take 3 hours unless there is a means of access other than removing several components and wiring setups that block access to the solenoid.

Is there a quicker, simpler (even easy?) way to do this job? A review of several service manuals simply said to replace it if bad - no hints for the procedure given.

Appreciate any ideas or tips from your vast experiences.

Between almost continuous rain squalls (working in the open), I am trying to replace the slave solenoid on my recently acquired SeaRay 240 deck boat. I located it in the bottom of a metal electrical box which holds several components. What should be a 20 minute job looks like it may take 3 hours unless there is a means of access other than removing several components and wiring setups that block access to the solenoid.

Is there a quicker, simpler (even easy?) way to do this job? A review of several service manuals simply said to replace it if bad - no hints for the procedure given.

Appreciate any ideas or tips from your vast experiences.

Ayuh,.... Undo the Whole box, 'n pull it up where ya can get at it....

Hello David, There are never any short cuts worth the time saved. Just have at it and you'll be bette off. You can also disconnect and clean other items along the way. Al W.

Thanks for the responses. Started back at it, but actually made no measured progress today. In attempts to remove the electric box or at least gain better access, I found that every time I tried something I needed a different tool from back at the garage. So I spent a lot of time making trips back and forth for more tools and eventually lost daylight. I will get it done, but remain disappointed that the manufacturer would put this solenoid in a place such that it can not be shorted over in case of an emergency -- and it definitely can not be replaced on the water even if you carried a spare.

It is a very clean boat with only 137 hours total, so I should get a lot of service. Just have a few age related chores to bring it back to my standards (new gas cylinders for the hatches, full tuneup, shift cable bellows, pump impeller, second battery and switch install, etc.

Back