Logo

1990 Force 120hp Carburetor Problem

dillon

Hello, on my 1990 120hp Force I have been using a 6 gallon outboard metal fuel tank, I keep 2 of them in the boat if I need more gas. The boat does have a built in tank but I just don't want to load up the tank and then worry about the gas getting old if I don't use it up. The tanks have been no problem, the motor has run great for 3 years about a dozen time a season. Now here is my situation, I took the boat out today and it ran great. When I got back in to the dock and went to turn the key off the motor just stalled out, it was at an idle in neutral. I didn't think much of it, I thought the gas might have just ran out. When I got home after about an hour I noticed gas coming out of the lid (from the carbs, motor was at an angle) Pressure had built up so much in the 6 gallon gas tank because it was about 110 degrees so it was just pouring out from under the lid. These aren't vented tanks, I would call them one line pressure tanks, I'm sure you know the type. I opened the 6 gallon gas tank lid and whoooooshhhh! the pressure released big time. I cleaned the plugs. My problem now is that I'm trying to start the motor and gas is running out of the little tiny weep hole in the lower of the 2 carbs, starts up then stalls. Would that be a stuck open float? Should I alway have the tank vented even if it means loosening the cap? I know this is a long winded story but I tried to explain the best I could. Thanks in advance for any input.:(

The floats are probably stuck in the open position allowing the gas to come out.
Your gonna have to clean it and unstick it.
Soap and water,compressed air to blow dry and fresh gas asap.
The tanks,you should keep in the shade or open the cap to allow air in and out.
If you don't use the boat tank yor gonna end up with condensation and crud build up.
It's gonna make the tank unusable after a while.

Back