Logo

Chris Craft "K" engines

24kg

Are all K engine blocks the same? Aside from the triple carburetor is there a difference between the “KBL” and the “K” engine?

The block, connecting rods, and valve train are the same. Crankshaft, pistons, camshaft, flywheel, manifold, and carburetor set-up are different

I know zero about these engines, but I'm always amazed at the rear facing installions and the front crankshaft drives that Chriscraft did back then.
Are there any issues with front crankshaft drives? Any key-way failures, or issues?
Just curious!

It's rather fun looking at the older stuff.
According to my search, this is a K-Model Chris-Craft engine (c.1952)

chrisc1.jpg

The only known issue is with cooling. The blocks tend to crack in Cly 2&5 from running hard and shutting down right away. You should always idle for a while before shutting down. It's really over built engine with 7 main bearings and the one you show only puts out 95hp. Most are just now being rebuilt for the first time.

Not on the Hercules or 283 Chevrolets. On the Cadillacs the higher powered ones snap the crankshaft if abused.

Thanks for the acceptance to the forum. I'm new to the wood boat restoration process and I recently took ownership of a 1942 17' Chris Craft Special Runabout. Its in pieces, but I think I have them all. I also have the original Model K and a 1950ish CC 283. In doing some research, my plan is to sell the Model K and power it with the 283. Is this still a good plan? What known issues should I plan to avoid in restoring the 283? What would be a good sources for selling the K? Approximate price for original motor (turns over by hand)?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Back