Logo

would it be my riser and Elbow??

Its been a while since I have been here, boat has been running great until the weekend.

Wife and I went out to Sea Fair in Seattle,*A night run. Boat ran great and I did look at the gauges and everything was good.
it was a 2 hour 5-7 knot run. just before getting into the dock the Starboard alarm went off, 280 degree temp.

Today I double checked everything but noticed when I started up the engine some antifreeze was coming out and then started to
become foamy and then just plain old water. I took out the them stat and noticed my antifreeze level was low, not gone just low.

I top off and then put the therm stat casing back and started the engine. It ran good, nice water flow and the level held on the coolent side.
I did notice that the right side riser and elbow was hotter then the otherside, could I have broken some of the internal ports that
allowed some antifreeze out the exhaust. Should I just replace that side for now, I have one extra at the house with gaskets?

Years ago I did have the portside riser have a blow out, just at the 90 before it contects to the exhaust rubber pipe then the muffler, it was a
big hole.

I checked the oil and there is no white film or water inside the pan, it looks good. So I will asume I did not blow an engine.

[email protected]

Last edited:
If one side of a motor has a hotter exhaust than the other, that means it's not getting its half of the water flow. The other side runs cooler since it's getting more water.

Suggest you pull the riser/ elbow and clean out where the water and exhaust meet. A coat hanger in a drill makes a handy tool to get this done.

Jeff

how many years ago did you do the port? why didn't you do the starboard at the same time?

There should be a stainless steel blockoff plate to keep the coolant in the manifold.

Where was the antifreeze exiting from, the exhaust?

how many years ago did you do the port? About 2 years ago

why didn't you do the starboard at the same time? becuase there was not problems with Starboard after checking with my lazer.

There should be a stainless steel blockoff plate to keep the coolant in the manifold. There is, I think I have a Port in the riser or elbow that is cracked or that plate could be gone now, melted away?

Where was the antifreeze exiting from, the exhaust? exhaust is correct. I small amount then turned foamy and then clear water. total of 2 minutes.

I put in a new therm stat and double checked the strainer by the sea cock and it looked clean. I started the engine and let it run for 2 hours at
diffrent rps and the temp did not go over 120. good water flow out the exhaust and antifreeze level was fine.
The one exhaust elbow was a little warmer then the otherside but not too much diffrent.

I will need to go out and run the engines at speed, need to get a load on the engines to see where we stand. I will most likley change the one side riser and elbow just because i have them and order the otherside.

Back