Logo

New block install mess on friends boat

tlalumie

Hello, this is Tom from CT. I’m trying to help a friendinstall a new 2000 Volvo Penta GM 4.3 LG Inboard outboard into his 92 GradyWhite. He spent all winter getting his Grady ready for this season for fishingand the first day he takes it out after the stern drive was rebuilt the motorblew. He bought a "2000" GM 4.3 LG motor stamped with 12600234 onthen back. We don’t have a clue if the motor is marinized.

Some of the problems we are having are the new water pump that we bought has 2bolt holes on each side, one large port hole in the center of each bolt holethen on the left side as your facing the block the water pump has a hole rightunder the bolt hole. The problem is on the block there is nothing for thatwater hole to mount up to so it’s going to leak the fresh water coolanteverywhere. Pics below will show what I mean. We also had to shave a good partof the water pump just to clear the timing cover. I don’t know why this ishappening unless this block is a regular Chevy 4.3 block that has marine partsall over it.

The next problem is that the power steering pump when mounted on the oldbracket on the upper right side of the block sticks out forward about 2 inchesand will not line up with the crankshaft pulley so I can’t even install thebelt.

Any help here guys would be greatly appreciated.....I wish there was a place whereI could look up the casting #s on the block to find out what motor he bought sowe can stop chasing around parts that don’t fit and pay the ridiculous 20%restocking fees and shipping charges...this thing is frustrating.

Thanks again for your time guys

gm.jpggm2.jpg

Ayuh,.... Yer fun is just startin',... As you've found, there's differences in the 4.3l motors, 'tween '92, 'n '00...

Are ya mountin' the P/S bracket differently,..??

Do ya still have the old motor,..??

You need to replace the parts that won't swap, with the '00 up-dated pieces...

tlalumie: I just bought the same engine casting number, how did your solve the problems you encountered?
Did you have to buy different brackets for the alternator and power steering? If so, what part # were they?
What Mercruiser #'s did you use when shopping for parts?

Thank you.

This is an old thread.... best to start your own NEW thread.

tlalumie: I just bought the same engine casting number, how did your solve the problems you encountered?
Did you have to buy different brackets for the alternator and power steering? If so, what part # were they?
What Mercruiser #'s did you use when shopping for parts?

Thank you.
I've not read completely through his post, but I suspect that he was trying to fit pre-vortec components onto a Vortec model engine.
He may have aslo been trying to use a SBC circ pump from a later auto application as well.

Start a new thread.

Back