Logo

Chrys 45 sheard key

My Chrysler 45, 1979 model, was a bitch to get the flywheel off. Finally popped off and I could see that the key was partially sheared. About 1/4 of the way. But it still went back together easy enough so I
thought it would be ok. It started up ok but was running rough so I decided to clean the points again.
Now Iv'e got a three-jaw puller on it and cranked about as hard as I can pull, but nothing! I'm afraid to pull any harder, I don't want to ruin the flywheel. Anyone got any ideas??:confused:

Three jaw puller is not to be used for pulling flywheel.------You must use a puller and three bolts to properly pull it.---------------A sheared key throws the timing out and it must be replaced with a similar key.--------Hardware store keys are not always a proper fit.

Sometimes a hit with a big hammer on the centerbolt of the 3 jaw will loosen it.
The harmonic balance puller,you might still have to tap with a hammer.
Like Racerone says get the right key or you might be looking for a new crank or sending it to a machine shop.Mercury parts or boats .net has it.I don't think this site sells it.J

F92498
KEY
$13.94

Always use a 3 bolt puller on outboard flywheels.----------------Too much risk of bending / damaging an expensive flywheel using any other method !!

Always use a 3 bolt puller on outboard flywheels.----------------Too much risk of bending / damaging an expensive flywheel using any other method !!

Hallelujah!!! And thank you much racerone,for the tip on harmonic three bolt puller, and thank you also
Jerry for the tip about how a whack with a big hammer on the turnbolt might be needed. This was a tough one. I pulled on the socket handle so hard that the bolts were twisting, then I took the socket-
wrench off and whacked the center bolt on the puller a couple good blows. Repeat. three times, and
I'll be darned. Success. Yes the key was completely sheared and I guess some little piece was wedged
in there. Well I just hope I didn't do any serious harm with all that whacking. It all looks good so far. I'll
let you know. mm

The key positions the flywheel for proper timing.---------With proper torque the locking tapers drive the flywheel.-------------If tapers do not match properly and lock the key will shear,---------------Use valve grinding compound and lap the tapers.

Back