Logo

D4 260 starboard overheating

Glad there has been some improvement although not perfect, shows your are on the right track.

How bad did the heat exchanger and intercooler look before cleaning?

How did it look after the clean, should look like new?

There is a possibility if they were really badly clogged if you didn't rod them though first the acid may not have been able to get down the tubes all the way to do its stuff in time before it stopped reacting.

As you say, prob worth doing the process again but rod out first, you will be able to feel if the tubes are still blocked.

Ian

Now you know the problem I would consider just removing them and getting them professionally cleaned. It isn't that expensive if you remove and refit them yourself, and you will know that they are back to new again. I do my own with 'rodding' and acid etc if I need a quick turn around, but if I have a week to spare I pull them off and get them done professionally. My experience has been that getting them done professionally tends to add several 100's of hours to the time I can wait before the next clean.

Hi Aliboy,
Thanks for all your help and advice. When our boat is lifted out January-February time for annual service and anti-fouling we may well send both heat exchangers for a professional clean, in the meantime we'll make do with 3000rpm and also have that investigated at the service

Hi,

Just reading through some posts associated with charge air coolers. I know there is a certain amount you can do with charge air coolers before they are replace, I work for a company called Vestas aircoil who design and manufacture charge air coolers and there is a facility to clean out charge air coolers.

Hi Aliboy,
Thanks for all your help and advice. When our boat is lifted out January-February time for annual service and anti-fouling we may well send both heat exchangers for a professional clean, in the meantime we'll make do with 3000rpm and also have that investigated at the service
Hi @WESTFORD, what was the problem?
Thank you!

Back