Logo

1997 Johnson 112 SPL charging system

C

Chuck Bozeman

"Hello, I have a 1997 Johnson

"Hello, I have a 1997 Johnson 112 SPL outboard that isn't charging. The Model # is XJ112SLEDR. I have checked the battery connections, they looked good but removed and re-installed them anyway. The engine was rebuilt about 50 hours ago and I don't believe that it's charged since, I have noticed that my tach will go crazy every now and then. Need to know how to troubleshoot the regulator/rectifyer and the stator and anything else you would suggest."

"red is batter charge output o

"red is batter charge output on the reg/rect
find the bullet and pull it apart
battery side is the female part, check volts should be battery voltage
no start motor and probe other side for voltage with the male, u should be around 9-10 for cranking, 13.5-14 around 2000rpm

there is diode checking u can do, but the test i posted is easier"

"Thanks, any suggestions as to

"Thanks, any suggestions as to why the tach is acting up?"

"i believe it comes off the re

"i believe it comes off the reg/rect
Grey wire??

not to sure, need to look at wire diagrams"

"Thanks, can you reccomend a g

"Thanks, can you reccomend a good repair manual for this engine? I am mechanically inclined and have repaired autos for quite a while so I would prefer a tech manual."

"That engine does not have a r

"That engine does not have a regulator, only a rectifier. If You use a seale/maint free battery You run the risk of getting far to high charge voltage.
First check the rectifier:
Measure with an ohm meter yellow (yellov, yellow grey,yellow blue to red: current should flow. The other way: Blocked.
Then check Your charge voltage, above 16Volts, and You will have trouble and most probably need to install either a regulator (same as in 90/115TL), change battery to a 'cheaper' type or both!"

"Search thehulltruth.com for t

"Search thehulltruth.com for this. Tach trouble and no charging says rectifier to me, but worth testing first."

Back