Logo

440 starting issue

bushwood

Contributing Member
Another problem with my 440s....For no apparent reason or oncoming symptoms, my port engine would not even turn over. Once the key was turned, it was if I was trying to start it when in gear. As you know, you will not get a response. I opened up the electronic ignition plastic cover, nothing jumped out at me and indicated a problem, so I lightly tapped on things with the end of my screwdriver. Whatever I did, it worked. I have now had this problem when engine was cold and now again, when hot. However, when I tapped on those items when the engine was hot, I did not get a response. The engine just decided to start for me.

What do you think?

I'll guess. Worn brushes in the starter motor. They are not coming in contact with the commutator. Tap the starter or something near it and the brushes drop down and make contact. The only fix is replacing the brushes. The "tap" only works a few times.

If you have a starter/ alternator rebuilder in your area, have it rebuilt. This is the best deal out there for starters and alternators!

Jeff

Back