Logo

velvet drive 1500 slips

jpar5184

I have a 1987 sunliner with a 2.6l mits engine and 1500 velvet drive trans. The trans slips ands loses forward after operating a short time. Reverse works fine. Any ideas?

Well, if the slips have occurred more than once while up on plane, you are likely going to have to have somebody overhaul the gear.

I'd start by making sure the shift cable is properly adjusted and then checking the oil pressure. You need a high pressure hose and a gauge (0-300 PSI). There will be a pipe plug on top of the gear (usually the one closest to the coupler) that will have to be removed to connect the hose.

I check the cable adjustment. I didnt check line pressures but i did find the pressure relief valve stuck. The trans is at the shop to be overhauled now.

i think dexron III is all you will find. I'd verify with the shop as their warranty may be subject to the fluid you use.

"Pressure relief valve"?? If you are referring to the regulator being stuck open - that will cause low oil pressure and all kinds of malfunctions

Back