Logo

Building gear lube

jeepguy

On a bravo 3 outdrive I seem to be "building" gear lube somehow. I've got a new gear lube bottle cap on order because my current one is missing the rubber baffle in the top of it. Lube is coming out the top hole, but that really isn't whats bothering me. It's the fact that while the engine is running the bottle is over full, but once I shut it down the lube level lowers to the fill line. I started the day rigth at the full line when all was cold.

Any thoughts? besides the new cap. Not sure that alone is my problem.
thanks all!

On a bravo 3 outdrive I seem to be "building" gear lube somehow. I've got a new gear lube bottle cap on order because my current one is missing the rubber baffle in the top of it. Lube is coming out the top hole, but that really isn't whats bothering me. It's the fact that while the engine is running the bottle is over full, but once I shut it down the lube level lowers to the fill line. I started the day rigth at the full line when all was cold.

Any thoughts? besides the new cap. Not sure that alone is my problem.
thanks all!

Ayuh,.... Probably a Bad seal, 'n ya got water, Under the oil....

Bad seal...between transom assembly and lower unit???

I'll pull the screws this weekend and see.

Ayuh,.... If yer gainin' gear lube, I'm thinkin' propshaft seal or somethin'...

Water expands much more, 'n faster than oil...

Have you even checked the LU oil for water intrusion? Pressure test the OD before replacing anything. A LU reseal job is about $700.

Back