Logo

Fuel Question

426hemi

Contributing Member
This may be a strange question. :confused: I have a 1963 40HP Johnson that was obviously built at a time when unleaded gas was pretty rare. The manual specifies using regular automotive gas or marine white gas. Can someone tell me if white gas is the same as unleaded or do I need to find a lead substitute additive to run this motor?

Thanks for any advice. :D

I had the exact same motor on a Boston Whaler...I ran it for ten years on regular pump gas without any problems. I sold the boat just last year. As I remember, back in the fifties and early sixties Amoco was recommended as "White Gas" Maybe someone else has a better insight.

Thanks bobbyc and kimcrwbr1. That's good news and good advice. I have a new impeller and thermostat along with a new choke, carb rebuild kit and fuel pump kit, alt. belt and all new lower end seals and gaskets ready to go. This will be fun!

Up until some time in the late sixty's and maybe the seventies, most service stations had a tank of marine white gas. It was usually in the back of the station in a cube shaped tank with a hand metering pump. If I remember right there were kerosene and varsol tanks beside it. it was used of outboards and Coleman stoves. I never knew what the octane rating or if it had additives.

Back