Logo

Guages

jerold

Regular Contributor
'87 Force 125 motor on a '98 Bayliner Capri.
OK, I understand why the tach doesn't work right, 20 pole engine on a 12 pole tach.
But why does the gas guage and volt meter peg out when the motor is running?
They are fine when the engine is off. I have isolated power and ground for these two guages to connect ONLY to the control box. They are NOT connected to boat power at all, ie fuse panel. My rectifier is fine, I tested it. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a lack of ground.Try running a seperate ground from the engine to the fuse box ground or ground bar.Sounds like you have juice arking nowhere to go_Or something is wired wrong.

Like spiderman says,There is a lead hooked up wrong.
Maybe the power lead got swapped around.
There was a guy a couple of posts ago that needs the tach you have(20 pole)

Power for those gauges should come from the purple wire on the ignition switch. That way they only work with the key on.

Hello I saw your post and you have a good question, I am having a problem
with my tach. and I am looking for 20 pole tach 4 1/2" diam. if you deside
you don't want that tach I would be interested

You guys got mixed up....

I NEED a 20 pole tach to REPLACE the 12 pole tach that I have now. It is in my '98 Bayliner Capri, with a '87 Force 125 on it.

Anybody know where I can get one?

Yes, I got one off ebay, new. Also installed new fuel sender and gutted all the dash wiring. Re did it all. Guages are all working, it appears. Haven't taken it out of the garage yet to start. We'll see if they all peg out liike they did before. Pretty sure it was something grounding out.

Like I said, I did get it on ebay. Looked again, and didn't see anything. The brand is "Teleflex". Said "for Force Motors" right on the back of the packaging. Try searching the web...?

Finally started the beast up for a check. All electronics (including the new stereo!) work perfectly! Gutted the wiring and started all over after too many frustrating attempts at fixing electric problems. Now I can check the rpm's when I get it on the water and see if I have the correct prop, AND see how much gas I have! Life is good.....

Back