Logo

need help with volvo penta aq131a

have a volvo penta heat exchanger gets really hot i heard it isnt suppose to i can take cap off start it and sea water fills it right away and i put back on also temp will stick around 180 if going slow than when i speed up it goes to about 210 215 than slow down in fear of ruining something can anyone help me thanks

The right temperature is 180ºF to 198ºF. If it gets hotter than that, verify that the hose connector (water neck) on the outdrive is not perforated/corroded. This is a very common problem on the VP AQ series, but very easy and inexpensive to fix.

Of course. If there is not enough raw water circulating through the heat exchanger, the coolant will get really hot. What happens is that when the water neck becomes perforated due to corrosion, the raw water pump will suck air through that hole when the boat is on the plane. As you can imagine, air does not cool as efficiently as water. ;)

hi when running it with muffs...check exhaust for water coming through...if lots of water circulating,shut down,cool down and assure there is anti freese in the exchanger for the motor...things will overheat if anti freeze level is down...from here you would replace impellors i suppose lots of luck

ok checked the filler neck hose on outdrive almost new looked inside all is good tightened back down put a new thermostat in seems like its only getting alot of water or the right amount when u put finger over the hole and hold ears on tight it primes it good water only last about fifteen seconds than it still spits water but not much heat exchanger still getting hot got to about 210 than shut it down i think it may just not be getting enough water but when i start it in lake water comes up right away havent had it out since new thermostat dont want to since its getting hot now with just the muffs on help please

Is the raw water strainer clean of debris? You just need to remove the cap to check.

And what is the condition of the water passages in the exhaust manifold? You will have to remove the rupper hose between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe to find out.

ok disconnected filler neck hose ran garden hose right to it seems like its spitting plenty of water now temp wont go over 179 so i am guessing the problem is before the hose maybe a pickup not sure. the heat exchanger is still getting pretty hot to the touch but seems like its getting plenty of water any suggestions will be appreciated

if you your temp is good putting water through the neck and by passing the leg pickup it means you will need to replace your impeller in your leg or you have a blockage between your leg and the neck

Sprogg&fin, there is no impeller in any Volvo leg.

Thewrecker1, it's better if you don't assume anything. The problem you have is limited to a few possibilities, and a clogged exhaust manifold is one of them. Now, let me ask you something. In your original question you said: "have a volvo penta heat exchanger gets really hot i heard it isnt suppose to i can take cap off start it and sea water fills it right away and i put back on also". Which cap are you removing, the one in the coolant expansion tank or the one in the raw water strainer? If it is the one in the expansion tank, there is not supposed to be any raw (salt) water there, only coolant. And it is supposed to be almost full.

For some reason I can't upload a picture from my phone. I pressure tested the outdrive took filer neck hose off of the connector going into the boat taped the fins off to hold water in put garden hose in rubber hose and it is leaking out of a seal or gasket right below the filer neck connector on outdrive think it's a steering knuckle now would this make it run hot on plane and would it make it get hot with just the ears on it temp was good when I ran water through the motor through the hose and had plenty of water now when I put the ears on I have to prime it to get good water and it only lasts a few seconds until you prime it again my question is would that be why it is running hot on plane cause it's sucking air and what is the part called and how hard is it to fix I would really like to get the boat out soon without any overheating issues any help is appreciated thanks

El I'm sorry I didn't clarify to well In my description it is not the water neck filer connector gasket where it is leaking it is right below that gasket on another gasket or sealer ring it is directly below that though prob inch and a half or so lower than the filler neck connector gasket it is the next one down now how hard is that to replace and would that be what is causing my overheating problems and for the other question I was talking about the raw water strainer cap thanks

I understood what you said regarging where the leak is. However, the only sealing of that area is being done by the beaded gasket that comes with the water neck. The other possibility for the water tube sucking air is the o-ring sealing the water tube between the lower gear and intermediate housing (but according to your post this is not the area where you have spotted the water leak).

Look at this old thread.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?81833-Does-NOT-suck-water-on-270

El here me out saw a post yesterday before I looked at the boat couldn't find it today even had pics but from what ur saying doesn't sound like what had to be done they needed to take apart the whole outdrive to get to this is all I remember from it it is the pivot steering knuckle below the filler neck connector that Is leaking and am unsure how to fix it

Are you listening to what I say?

I don't think you are.

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

1) Remove the current water neck and beaded gasket under it. This can be done without removing the outdrive.

2) Install the replacements from Sierra that I indicated in a previous post. This also can be done without removing the outdrive.

3) You are done.

Why am I suggesting that you do this?

Because the beaded gasket is the one that seals the water tube in the area where it is leaking. If you have a water leak below it, then the gasket is not sealing, and the pump will suck air when the boat is on the plane.

Now you can do two things:

1) do what I am suggesting (it will cost you less than 50 bucks if you do it yourself), or

2) do something else that won't work.

Your choice.

The part I have mentioned is "universal" and it will fit your drive. However, you can also install the Sierra part 18-2777 if you prefer.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...77&returntopage=sierra_marine/sierra00856.htm

Both of them come with the beaded gasket, which is the one that seals around the water tube.

Or you can buy just the beaded gasket from your Volvo Penta dealer, part number 814356; or the Sierra equivalent, part 18-2939:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2939&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Whether you buy the gasket from Volvo penta or from Sierra, then you will have to re-use the original water neck. Personally, I prefer to replace both the water neck and the gasket at the same time.

El is the gasket and the filer neck connector what you get with the purchase or does it come with something else I don't see in the picture sorry for being a pain in the ass but it's not leaking from the gasket that I see in pic that goes under the filler neck connector it is Leaking at the next point lower where the outdrive turns on wish I could upload a pic

Thewrecker1:

1) The gasket and the connector come together in the kits I mentioned in my previous post.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...78&returntopage=sierra_marine/sierra00856.htm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...77&returntopage=sierra_marine/sierra00856.htm

You can also buy the gasket separately.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2939&ptype=&Engine=&Model

2)Kindly look at this picture:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/25100.jpg

The part in blue is the raw water area in the outdrive. Between the lower gear unit and the water neck there is just the water tube. The water tube is made tight at the bottom with an o-ring or rubber seal; and at the top with the beaded gasket that goes under the water neck (part number 814356; or the Sierra equivalent, part 18-2939).

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2939&ptype=&Engine=&Model

Since the water tube is virtually indestructible, there are only two places where you can have a water leak (and an air ingress): 1) at the bottom of the water tube, in the arewa where the intermediate housing meets the lower gear; and 2) at the top, by the water neck area. If the water leak is at the top (and even if you see it coming below the water neck and the beaded gasket, it is still at the top), then the problem is the beaded gasket under the water neck not sealing around the water tube. The solution in this case is replacing the beaded gasket, and it is a good practice to also replace the water neck as they tend to corrode.

Do you see it now?

Check this old post as well.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?24902-Volvo-penta-aq131c

Last edited:
El waiting on the part they said three days so trying to knock out a couple other things while waiting the first thing is the throttle shifter normal to go from neutral to forward or neutral to reverse its coming back into neutral it gets stiff hard to do feel like eventually it would break any suggestions secondly when I put it in reverse the outdrive comes up out of the water like the reverse lock doesn't work but not quite sure how it works thanks

Hi,

For the first problem you will probably have to replace the morse shift cable if it has become stiff. It is not a difficult job. You will have to find out what length of cable you have. That information is usually etched on the cable sleeve either where it connects to the outdrive or to the shift lever.
and
For the second problem, click on "search forums" at the top of the page and use the words reverse latch or reverse pawl
and you will find lots of threads where this problem has been discussed before.

El got the gasket and the filler neck connector back in sure wasn't a treat getting the gasket back in properly But got it ran it on the ears spitting a lot of water out and not going past 179 gonna take it out this weekend hopefully all is well in the water thanks again

Back