Logo

Help with Carrier Bearing Install

Have you tested the armature for a short circuit ????---------------I often find them bad.-----------These starters do not stand up well to folks who like to crank, crank and hope the motor will start.

View attachment 5173

I searched the forum for this topic, but only found topics relating to removal of carrier bearing not installation.

My son and I are working on a (1987) Mariner 115hp outboard, the original carrier bearing was cracked at the two tabs that bolt to the LU. That carrier bearing came out without any problems, but I'm having trouble getting the replacement back in (it is the correct/identical part). We can get it almost all the way in, but it's not seating ... about 3/16 - 1/8" left before it mates up to the LC.

Is there a trade secret to getting the carrier bearing to seat all the way? We've already gone through one replacement, breaking the tabs in the identical place by torqueing the nuts down too much ...

The shift cam seems to be working properly.

Everything is intact, I can feel the spring engage when we insert the assembly, but it just won't seat all the way.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Jay

hey boss i have the same question the same thing happend to my outboard and i took it out replaced it with a new one and it broke off again any suggestions or did i replce it wrong

I too am working on reinstalling a carrier bearing in a Mariner 115 but my question is a little different. I’m trying to figure out what position the shift cam needs to be in in order for it to be in “forward” gear once everything is back together. I can get mine back together without breaking the tabs but no matter what I do, once it’s back together, it’s only in forward or neutral. Any help would be appreciated.

Back