Logo

Delco E.S.T.Distributor

joel8080

Contributing Member
I am trying to time my Port engine, when I set the Dist to time I can not start the engine when I switch it back to run it starts right up, but I know you can't time the motor on the run wiring per the Manual.
Any Idea's? Is there a better way to time the engine?.

Thank You

Joel

if you have a stand alone EST distributor (ie no ECU) you will need the timing plug to set the timing.

Do you have the jumper wire with the alligator clip on the plug? Following the procedure for connecting it?

WOW whats the difference between a EST & a ECU?. I have a 1989 350XL motor and the owners manual for the 350 XL says to connect the Purple/Wht wire to the Brown wire that's what I did.

Joel

EST refers to the distributor - electronic spark timing.
ECU = computer... an 1989 with a carb won't have a computer.

Here's a link that will shed some light on one of the procedures:
http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page229.html

There is more than one way to get the module into its NO ADVANCE mode...If you have the factory plug, use the procedure in the factory manual. I know of no reason why it won't start in the timing mode...may wanna verify that you are loosing spark with your procedure.

I am trying to time my Port engine, when I set the Dist to time I can not start the engine when I switch it back to run it starts right up, but I know you can't time the motor on the run wiring per the Manual.
Any Idea's? Is there a better way to time the engine?.

Thank You

Joel

You have to start the engine in the "run" position, then switch it to "time" with it running./ Set the timing - put it back to "run". It dosn't have enough spark advance for start up in the "time" mode. I ran into the same problem with mine.

It looks like between Mark, 200toncapt, and the Delco EST info, you're covered.

I find it interesting that Delco lists the following, and then gives us a warning at the bottom.
Not that I disagree....... we should always use the OEM numbers.

ENGINE INITIAL TIMING TOTAL TIMING
CID @ 500 RPM........... @ 4000 RPM

181.......... 0o................. 24o
250 .........10o................ 32o
262 ..........2o ................ 24o
305 ..........8o .................26o
350.......... 8o .................25o
454 ........ 12o ................30o
552 .........12o ................30o

Warning:
These timing Numbers should be verified with your owners manual.
These are not necessarily true for every engine setup, and variances can occur.
Use these as a reference base only.

Back