Logo

twin chrysler 360s

knotaford

I have a pair of Chrysler 360s in my 79 TROJAN Tricabin. Both have about 1800 hours on them and neither burn a quart of oil in a season. My question is the port motor burns alot more fuel than the starboard. (the genny runs off the starboard tank) I mean about 10% more . Any ideas. Both run strong and i kind of beive in leaving well enough alone but...

I wouldn't do any of that stuff if the engines are running well.

10% isn't really that much when you think about the accuracy of the gauges you're using to measure fuel. Your port fuel gauge could easily be off by 10%.

But if you think the difference is real, then start with rebuilding both carburetors. Have a reputable carb shop do them. It's easy to take them off and re-install them yourself. Ethanol in today's gas wreaks havoc on fuel systems.

-JJ

Don't laugh, but clean your flame arrestors! One of mine did the same until I clean it, then they were (and still are) similar guzzlers.

Jeff

I agree that 10% may not be worth chasing after.... however.............
They both could probably use a complete diagnostic. Check compression cold, spark gap, ignition timing and map the advance curves,
Agree..... an ignition advance that is unequal between the two engines could be causing this.
Do what Kim suggests, and map or plot out the two, and then compare them.

The beauty with twins, is that we can swap certain components with little effort....... such as swapping carburetors, and then take samplings again.
The key in doing this is to just try one item at time (actually 2), or you'll loose track of which did what.
It's worth a shot, and the cost is two new base gaskets only.

I mean, it might be worth doing the easy things like checking timing and spark plug gaps, but like I always say, you can spend your weekend on the water or you can spend it turning wrenches.

If it's running reliable, then I would be having fun while the summer lasts.

-JJ

Before you waste the summer swapping parts, clean the flame arrestor and--if that's not it--do a max timing check. You'll need an advancing timing light for that (Auto Zone will let you borrow one). Don't worry about the actual advance degrees you read; just compare it to the other motor's max advance.

Jeff

Back