Logo

1973 318 Tick's sometimes.....

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys I have a 318 that ticks sometimes. It comes and goes. On the way in I pulled the engine hatch just to check up on things and heard the tick. We idled it down for a few minutes it went away so we "R'd" it back up and it came back, we idled it back down for 5-10 minutes and it went away we drove it the rest of the way in (3-4 miles) and it was fine. Here are a couple videos I took. Please don't mind the shaky video....I was trying to get the microphone position the best.

That "light tap" is a lifter collapsing. I suggest an oil change and some snake oil.

Jeff after listening to the video do you still believe this is what it is? And if so what does a lifter collapsing mean and is there a way to fix it?

It could also be a manifold leak at the exhaust cross over. The cross over is located in the middle of the intake manifold where the manifold meets the head.

-JJ

I just listened to the video. To me, that sounds like a "hard knock" rather than a "light tap". I don't think a manifold leak would sound like that.

-JJ

sounds like its definitely a valve train noise. pull the valve covers and look for abnormally loose rockers give all the pushrods a spin to see if any are bent. i like to use riselone its always freed up my sticky vw lifters....

It MIGHT be an exhaust leak at the cross over location in the intake manifold. You should be able to hear the sound change when 'bumping' the throttle. Could you try this, video it, and post it? Te sound is uually worse when the motor is old, but try it both ways.

Jeff

PS: If that's it, I have an easy fix.

When it sounds/runs good, have you tried removing plug wires one at a time to see if you can make it do it?

Have you tried listening to suspect area with a stethoscope?

my 318 sounded like that and i put mystery oil in the oil and ran it..i reved it and reved it let it run and reved it and it went away..stuck lifter is guess..just got lucky.

If it's an exhaust leak at the cross over, the gaskets need to be changed out AND have the metal plates included. Many "mechanics" leave them out, which causes a leak.

Jeff

Attachments

• Intake Gasket Plates.JPG
    Intake Gasket Plates.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 54
When it sounds/runs good, have you tried removing plug wires one at a time to see if you can make it do it?

Have you tried listening to suspect area with a stethoscope?

No I haven't I will when I get back out there. For know I am heading out to North Carolina and Tennessee for some R and R.

If it's an exhaust leak at the cross over, the gaskets need to be changed out AND have the metal plates included. Many "mechanics" leave them out, which causes a leak.

Is there a way to diagnosis that? What would make it come and go if it was that? Thanks

If it's leaking, booting the throttle will make it worse.

Think old car with a leaky muffler. That's the sound you'll hear, right at the carb.

Jeff

If that was it What would make it come and go?

My 318 did the same thing and thanks to the great guys on this site,it turned out to be the fuel pump. Simply remove it and start it up,it will run with the fuel in the carb. You'll know right away when you start it if the tapping goes away,you need a fuel pump! And yes it would come and go.it would do it at 1k rpm but would be quiet at 2k rpm???

Back