Logo

Fuel pump is not getting gas to the engine or getting firm when squeezed

rabyadam

This weekend I couldn't get my boat to start...I squeezed the bulb, but it would not get hard, and it didn't sound like gas was getting through to the engine. I went out yesterday and bought a whole new bulb and fuel line as well as all new connectors (male and female for the gas can), and the one that connects into the motor. But still there is no pressure building when I squeeze the bulb.

The weekend before it was running and working fine, it always took maybe 5 squeezes at most to get it nice and firm. The arrow on the new bulb is facing the right way (from tank to engine), and my air intake on the gas can is open. I have read alot about holding the bulb vertical when squeezing (with arrow on bulb pointing upwards to the sky), but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions? The weird thing is that when I disconnect the fuel line at the motor (and leave conected at the gas can) it does build pressure and become nice and hard when squeezed, but loses the pressure when plugged back into engine.

Any info would be appreciated.

- My old man is a mechanic, but he lives over 950km away from me... and not being very helpful over the phone, and still claims he doesn't know email

What year and engine? Float setting in carb(s) could be off allowing engine to flood instead of shutting off the fuel supply when the carb is full.

The Motor is a 40hp Mercury, late 80's, not sure off the top of my head what year.

I'm trying to fix this myself, but I don't know very much mechanics, so just seeing if this is something I can fix myself, or will have to get someone to look at.

I took the old gas out and replaced it last night, 5 gallons of new gas.

Ontario....living in Oakville at the moment, born and raised up near Timmins

Remove the fitting at the engine, connect to the line and squeeze to pump the gas out just to make sure that connection is solid. Beyond that a connection between that and the pump might be clogged. Also, check your tank, maybe the feed tube disconnected, or rotted off. It doesnt make sense that you get pressure disconnected but only pump air when connected.

Since the bulb gets hard when the the connector is disconnected it's pumping gas. Since it does NOT get hard connected, the gas--that we know it's pumping--is going somewhere: It's either flooding like crazy at the carb(s), or going into the motor via a ripped fuel pump diaphragm. No other explanation makles sense!

Jeff

Back