Logo

Outboard Tilt tube full of rust, steering frozen.

TeamTeke

[h=2]Outboard Tilt tube full of rust, steering frozen.[/h]
OK, I know the problem and we have tried to fix it twice in the past only to have it return again. I have a 2002 Mercury 90hp carburetor engine on my 18' Action-Craft flats. It has Teleflex style mechanical steering that slides inside of the tilt tube. The tilt tube is common carbon steel and has rusted inside over the years. Twice I have had to remove the motor and ream out the crap in the tube to restore my steering. We have packed the tube with grease but the rusting comtinues. It is now happening again.

Does anyone know if Mercury or other after market companies offer a stainless steel tube? Any other thoughts here?

I am sure you can find a stainless tube.--------OMC / BRP make their " ocean ruunners " and Mercury markets " salt water " motors too and they must be stainless I think.---This tube has the same threads no matter who makes the engine.----Then there is your local machine shop where you can say " make me one of these in stainless "

Jeff , for many folks " quality " is a concern , much more than aggravation when stuff fails.---Remember----" the bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotton "

Back