Logo

Chrysler Marine M440 330hp 1977's Can you use the thrust collar on a Mallory distributor?

michaeld69

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if you can take a stock prestolite distributor thrust collar off the bottom of the distributor on a 1977 reverse rotation engine and put it on a mallory distributor part #YLM-926304 ???? I know the thrust collar holds down the oil pump gear, and you can do damage to it if you don't have it installed on your distributor. If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Michaeld69

Yes it will work with no issues both engines call for the same distributor. You need to reuse the collar no matter what distributor you use!
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jeff. I dont know how long the distributor is because I haven't ordered them yet. But I spoke to Mallory and they didn't even understand what I was talking about....

I've talked to summit and mallory and they didn't understand what i was talking about. So the mallory distributors that i mentioned previously are the correct ones i need to use with the stock collars? And do you know if they're long enough? Hate to spend a grand on a couple of distributors that are the wrong ones, but i can't seem to find anyone who can tell me... Have you ever used this model distributor?
Thanks.
Michael

Mallory tech service SUCKS! They should know all about this by now since many of us have "educated" them over the years.

Seriously, I'd go with another brand (other than Petronix and their non-marine, marine stuff that rusts).

Jeff

jeff what would you use for new distributors? I just about have the reverse engine totally rebuilt. I just want a good distributor that will last and that the stock thrust collars will fit properly.
thanks
michael

I just installed a new Mallory on a 318 this weekend. It was basically plug and play. I didn't have to swap any thrust collars. Is this unique to the M440?

-JJ

Flywheel turns CCW, so this is standard rotation. I simply pulled the old distributor out and installed the new one.

I also pulled my stbd distributor (reverse rotation) just to see what it looked like in there. To me everything looked identical. I suppose I could have overlooked the thrust collar, but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

So even small blocks have them?

-JJ

The collar probably stayed in the block when you did the swap. When installed in the engine it looks like a fat washer or spacer. Pulled out of the engine it looks like a long cylinder. Jeff has posted pics of the collars before. The collar is not part of the distributor but is needed.
Bob

Here's what the thing looks like (small block).

Jeff

Attachments

• Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG
    Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,017
I didn't see anything remotely close to that. I browsed through the manual yesterday and it says that it's press fit into the block. However, per your image the upper shoulder should be sticking up from the manifold a few inches above that o-ring. I don't think my reverse rotation engine has one. The distributor sits flush to the manifold same as my standard rotation engine.

-JJ

Ok guys iam alittle upset i just bought the Mallory 9-26304 Marine distributor for my M440 and the shaft is NOT long enough with the thrust collar on it!!!! Ughhh....

I measured the shaft it is 2 7/8 inchs and the factory distributor is 3 1/2 inch shaft!!!

it does fit without the collar on it but as most of you know it must have this collar on it!

Please any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks Michael

There is nothing wrong with the stock unit, just clean it up and make sure the advance is lubed up then install it with a Pertronix conversion kit with the new matching coil and you have as good a setup as any of the aftermarket units.

Dan

I have a set of electronic left and right distributors from a set of 1977 440's if you need them. I switched both my engines to RH when I rebuilt so I could use updated parts. I cannot tell the difference from the counter rotating to now having 2 RH drives.
Dan

"I spoke to Scott at Mallory/prestolite again. He now says that he can special order a YLM 5000AV marine. He said that it has a longer shaft that will work with the thrust bearing. I ordered it today. Supposedly these distributors can turn in either direction. My current distributor turn counter-clockwise in this reverse rotation motor. The new distributor is $329 plus shipping. I was given a price of $275-300 to rebuild the old distributor. I figure that it is better to have 2 new distributors with the same advance curve."

This is the custom distributor that you need. See "help with reverse rotation 440" thread. Reply number 16 and 17 sums up the whole situation.

****I also have the original distributors,ECM, and 4 post ballast resistors that you will need. They had all been replaced before I decided to change distributors to Mallory brand.****

Back