Logo

85 Ski Nautique 351 Runs Great, Suddenly Dies, Restarts Fine

JTB530

I am working on an 85 ski nautique for a friend he said it had some stalling issues. He bought a brand new holley for it from PCM this is where I got involved I swapped the carb for him drained the fuel tank and installed a new wix filter in the fuel water seperator and new sparkplugs. I put the fake-a-lake on it and started it, it ran great in the garage. We took it to the lake it started right up got past the no wake zone and throttled up. It responded great then died. It restarted with no more than a turn of the key ran fine for a minute then died the same way. I pulled the flame arrestor off and pumped the throttle fuel shot out of both boosters we restarted it and ran it for 20 minutes after that with no issue at all. The next time out he had the same problem. I was wanting to try to get some ideas on were to start when I go help him again. I really don't feel he has a fuel problem because of the way it died like a switch was shut off then restarted without a hitch no cranking to refill the fuel bowls. It never sputtered it just died. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

take a timing light out with you the next time. hook it up and then throttle up when outside the no wake zone. check for strong repeatable spark, ideally when it dies.

Based on your description, it wouldn't be a surprise if the coil is failing when it gets hot. If the spark is disappearing, could also be the ballast resistor if used with that coil.

take a timing light out with you the next time. hook it up and then throttle up when outside the no wake zone. check for strong repeatable spark, ideally when it dies.

Based on your description, it wouldn't be a surprise if the coil is failing when it gets hot. If the spark is disappearing, could also be the ballast resistor if used with that coil.

I have the same problem with my 1986 Ski Martinique. I replaced the coil and resistor so I'm at a loss. I'm certain it is an ignition problem just no idea where else to look. My boat does not start right away after it is has been ran for awhile. I have had the carb rebuilt the filter replaced and drained the gas tank.

have you tried opening the throttle when you try to restart it? Have you verified you don't have spark when you try to restart it? Points and condensor fresh?

I chased the same issue, my problem was the anti siphon valve at the fuel tank. I looks like a hose barb but there is a spring and ball inside that gets coated with varnish. the ball will move and cut off the fuel supply. Cleaned and it has ran great for 2 years after.

Back