Logo

Tohatsu 2002 - coughs + splutters with revs.

Mike-T

Hi there -

Hoping someone can offer some advice here - but this is our situation...

We have a Tohatsu 2002, which has been stored over the winter. We got the boat out a few weeks back, cleaned filter, checked plugs etc - didn't think much needed doing. It idles fine, so put it in the water.

The problem that we have is that when it's put in gear and given revs, it coughs, splutters, and generally wants to cut out.

There are no kinks in the fuel line, it has fresh fuel - although reading around, it sounds like the Carb must be run dry after each run... it this simply a matter of disconnecting the fuel supply and running it until it cuts out? Could not running it dry cause these problems? what can be done to resolve it - carb cleaner perhaps?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Paul - thanks for the reply!

I was told the model number was '2002' - but I assume by your reply that it's not.

I've just asked the question again, and have been given the following numbers - MFS25a 3S9 (I'm not with the engine now - it's 100 miles away with my in-laws)

Does that help?

Thanks again,

Mike.

OK, 25 hp, 3-cyl, carbed motor. (year of manufacture means nothing for servicing).

Sounds lean, especially at tip-in to the transition circuit from idle. Assuming you did not religiously run the carbs dry at the end of each and every day. If that's the case, the carbs are varnished, and need to come off, be completely disassembled and soaked in carb dip for 4 hours, then blown out with carb spray, then carefully reassembled, verifying float height.

Back