Logo

TAMD 41As LH/RH running

bobt

Contributing Member
OK you Volvo Vatos,

Any of yall ever hear of Left Hand and Right Hand rotating TAMD 41A? If so, any idea how expensive it would be to convert one engine? Guess we are talking about cam, starter, injector pump, fresh water pump, alternator, etc, RIGHT?

I'll probably have to dive under the boat and change out one prop... cheaper, but muddy water, can't see, especially without glasses, can't hold breath , and just killed a water moccasin on the swim platform. Man am I looking forward to this, plus, I don't have any idea what size and pitch prop I'll need.

Any one want to buy a 59' Carl Craft/Gibson type House boat?

OK, Thanks,

Bayoy BobT

Volvo controls rotation at the transmission. This is also valid for the outdrive, rotation is in the outdrive upper.

ALL ENGINES TURN THE SAME, NO LH/RH

You probably have HS1 gears? Let me know, its very simple to make them turn one way or another

Stringer, Glen,

I'm not sure where you are refering to, but if it's that easy... you have just made my day... month and year.
I've been thru the Velvet Drive Transmission and can't find any place to reverse the output. But then I'm not a marine mechanic... been an Airframe and Power Plant license holder since 1966, but boat confuse me. Thanks and please elaborate on how I change the out put on my Port engine.

I O U,

Thanks
BobT

Velvet Drive is not a Volvo gear, not sure if it can be reversed. Only HS1 MS1 MS4 and other Volvo gears can be easily reversed and are capable of 100% of power in either direction

Stringer Bell,

Thanks anyway, guess I'm going overboard and change a prop... Unless someone knows more about where and cost of the Volvo gear boxes. I've got the standard 1:1 model 1018-001 &-002 Velvet Drive hooked up by short shaft to my Thermo Electron V-drives. Nothing I can find tells me, reversing direction is possible. Cajan Luck...

BobT

I don't know about your Velvet drives, but with my Twin Disk you just hook up the LH rotation gearbox so that it runs in reverse when you select forward. Every few 1000 hours I swap the boxes over to even out the wear, but not sure that I really have to. Basically some boxes are designed for 100% power in either direction. I would try emailing Velvet Drive.

Aliboy,

Right, but with the Velvet drive, the reverse gear doesn't have enough clutch plates to continusly run in that position. I think Fwd has seven and reverse has two. Running it that way woould weld the plates together fast.

Thanks any way,
I'm going under the boat and pull the prop, then get a opposite turning replacement.
Wish me luck, the water is muddy, got gators and moccacins in it.

BobT

Good luck. Can't say I envy you that job. Hopefully the prop pulls off easily and doesn't require any heat etc like they often do.

The props were put on while at a ship yard and on a floating dry dock... surely they put some anti-seize compount on the shafts. Besides, I can't get a torch under water and heat it enough any way. I have a prop puller that should do the job, but it ain't going to be a real easy task, no. Just not much clearance, and the bottom of the bayou is a few feet deep in mud. I'm going to try and sink a sheet of plywood, weighted down with a few cinder blocks, Then should I drop the nut or something, I may have a chance of finding it...everything else, tools, prop, etc will have a small line attached. Coming off will probably be easier than going on.

Thanks for the interest, and good wishes.

Bayou BobTheRiot

We sometimes change stern drive props etc with the boats in the water. We just folded some wire mesh into a basket shape with ropes on the corners and hang it under where we are working. Catches everything except for split pins, but we usually fit new ones anyway.

Hey Yall,

This cajan lucked out, rigged a snorkel and face mask, hooked up to compressor and sent my oldest living son under the boat to remove the prop. Took him awhild but after I loaded him down with a heavy wrench he was able to stay down long enough to get-er-done. Still not sure of the pitch, but the diameter is 18". I'll bring her down to George's machine shop in the morning and figue it out. George Doescher has one of the oldest machine shops still running and has some of the oldest equipment running. He's old school machinest, no computer stuff there. Shaft and props are his speciaty. He's made his own taper boaring tools, can strighten, and re-build worn out shafts, has a saying, there ain't no bad shafts, just nees rebuilding. O'course, a small shaft and prop like mine are minor stuff for him... he usually deals with 4 to 6 " shafts and 42 to 48" props, but he;s an old high school buddy and will treat me right.

Just for Shi*s and Giggles, I'll keep yall posted, yea.

Bayou Bob TheRiot

Like I said, my prop is off and now I need to replace it. I'm heading down to Georges's machine shop and clean it up a bit. It's new and never been run, except the other day when I learned, my engines turn the same way and a RH prop pull aft and doesn't work on my rig. Anyone out there want to trade a 18 x 18 x 1 1/4 RH prop for an 18 x 18 x 1 1/4 KH Prop.

Heading down the bayou to Monegut,
BobT

Hey Yall,

Sorry for the previous posting, I'm searching for a 18 x 18 x 1 1/4 LH prop. Not a 1 1/4 K/H. Finger hit the wrong key.

BobT

IT's me again, any of yall ever ran a four blade prop on starb and a three blade on the port. I'm told it shouldn't make that much differance on a large boat, but both turning the same way, who knows?

Thanks
BobT

Back