Logo

Pulling a stuck flywheel

MrRodeoCC

Just figured I'd share how I got my stuck flywheel off. I had purchased a flywheel puller from an auto parts store, I soon learned why the OMC puller is round and a 1/2" thick, the puller started to bend. I got a 5lb weight and made a rubbing of the top of the flywheel so I could match the puller holes and drilled the weight so I could put it on top of the puller(this gave the rigidity to prevent bending), using grade 8 bolts (from tractor supply company, the cheapest place to buy hardware as they sell by the lb at a very good price) I installed the puller setup on the motor and started tightening, I used a 4 foot crowbar trapped between the grade 8 bolt and the crank and a 1/2" breaker bar with a 4 foot piece of pipe to gain leverage. I tightened the puller bolt an 1/8 of a turn at a time, repositioning the breaker bar for best leverage, when it finally came off, it sounded like a gunshot and the puller jumped about 4 inches up off the motor with the flywheel attached. It wasnt easy and I tried numerous things, including heating the flywheel. Upon removal I understood why heat didnt work, the center hub of the flywheel extends down quite a bit so therefore you couldnt get enough heat into it to make it loosen up, I did get a new flywheel and tried cutting the flywheel off, but upon getting the outer part cut off I noticed there was no way to cut that extended center section without destroying the stator and sensor which was another $350 in parts. I had nothing else to loose by trying to pull it again and using the 5lb weight, crowbar and pipe I gained enough leverage to get the flywheel off. I hope this helps someone else to understand the extreme you may have to go to get it done.
Puller Tools.jpgpuller 2.jpgpuller 3.jpg

Next time when the flywheel puller gets tight give the bolt a couple good raps with with a carpenters hammer usually they will pop off of the shaft pretty easy. I would think its safer than your way I have never bent a puller the way you did I would be afraid of parts flying around or stripping the flywheel bolt holes. I have the same puller you have and never had a problem.

I use a $10 auto-zone puller and a pneumatic that's rated at 500 lbs or something on the puller tool. Let the compressor get up to 150 psi then go at it. Big tip is to put the flywheel nut on just a little as the flywheel can fly off, no joke or pun.

Jon

Haha yep I had a jetski engine do that recently - was trying to figure out WTF I was going to do next and it popped on it's own.

Back