MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Thread: holes in keel?

Default holes in keel?

i recently got a 75 starcraft aluminum. along the keel guards( or at least i think thats what they are called- first boat, so im kinda learning.) there is a 1/4 hole drilled into each one about a third of the way back. I am assuming it would be for a drain of some sort? But since it does take on a fair amount of water and i dont know where it is coming from, i am wondering if i should plug those up? or are they needed?

Default Re: holes in keel?

Pics would help how fast is it leaking there should be no holes on the bottom of the boat the green bondo with the fiberglass holds pretty good to aluminum as long as you sand it to good aluminum coarse grit and clean it good with acetone before you apply the patch. let it fully cure and apply a coat of two part epoxy paint to seal it good. It is hard to get any paint to stick to aluminum a good rough sanding will improve adhesion.

if i am out and moving on the lake, i would say a gallon every half hour. better when it sits as it took on roughly 5 gallons overnight. here are the holes, one on the bottom, and one each on the next one up on the sides.

hmm, not sure why pic errors out, i will try again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0235-1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	5103this would be it

My guess is it hase some loose rivets somewhere possibly around the transom from motor vibration. Do you know what a bucking bar is or have you ever put snaps on a tarp or canopy. The rivets are just pressed flat on the back side (inside the boat) with a anvil type bar and you use a rattle hammer on the outside. I will see if I can find the proper tool for pressing on new rivets. you just replace the bad ones or try and press them tight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivet-Gun-Ki...item3f17dd6909 This gives you an idea I used to work in a truck shop probably the worst job is bucking rivets. The riveter is on the outside pushing the rivits in hard with the gun the bucker is inside pushing on the end of the rivet with the bar as he rattles the gun the bucking bar smashes the end of the rivet flat. I can see bucking rivets can be problematic around/under the seats IDK maybe the seats are just bolted in. I guess its more similar to straitening dents on a car just try and smash them tite again.

Oh yea those holes are normal to drain the water out to keep from freezing and popping the rivets out.