Logo

Long shaft to short shaft?

NaymzJaymz

Contributing Member
My engine is a 1980 Evinrude 25HP model E25RCSA. I've mentioned it in the forum for engine reasons, but since this is a new issue I'm starting a new thread. It appears that this unit has a removable section(part #'s 322750 & 327563) in between the the exhaust housing and the lower unit that would, in effect, change it from a long shaft to a short shaft. It's in the parts catalog at the top of this page with before mentioned #'s. When I see others at the lake with this same motor they often have this section, and it is the same unpainted aluminum the as the section on my motor. It would be more suited to my needs for this to be a shorter shaft, so I'd like to remove it. The exploded view in the parts catalog does not show the drive shaft at all. Is there a removable section in the driveshaft to shorten it, or would I have to get a shorter shaft? How about the shift shaft? I have a Seloc manual, but I don't see any mention of this. Did the motor come this way, or did someone add it as a "kit" to lengthen the shaft? Any advice on how to do this, part #'s, ect, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

There were aftermarket "kits" that included the section of exhaust housing, a stubby drive shaft (to add on) and another water tube to convert the short to long (if that's what you have).

Only way to know for sure is to pull the lower unit and see what's there. Your model E25RCSA indicates it was built as a short shaft (E25RLCSA was the long shaft model), so depends "how" it was converted.

If it has the stubby shaft, then the only thing to replace would be the water tube (which would be 5" too long), but that is significantly cheaper than a new driveshaft (and a whole lot less work).

edit -
just went and took a look at the OEM "kit", it included a longer shift rod, water tube, driveshaft, bolts and the spacer for the exhaust housing - so if this was an OEM retrofit you are looking at replacing many parts.

Last edited:
What is your transom height...a longshaft is meant for a 20 inch transom whereas a short shaft is meant for a 15 inch transom. If this were a factory longshaft, the extension housing would be painted the same color as the rest of the motor. The easiest and cheapest way to convert your 30 year old motor to short shaft would be to try to obtain a "parts motor". A "wanted" ad in the boating section of craigslist would be the way to go.

Thanks gentlemen,
Our transom is 15 inches, so we need the short shaft. We will indeed need the shorter (standard) water tube, the stock shift shaft linkage(which will return the shift shaft to the stock length), the stock length plastic spacer tube that the driveshaft passes through, and, of course the driveshaft. Many parts will need changing as galamb said. Finding a parts motor or source would be the way to go as bobbyc mentioned. Any advice on compatable years/models/HP ratings of Johnson/Evinrude would be appreciated. Is there an online registry for this?

Back