Logo

1989 Evinrude 70 hp buzzer

R

RandyOz

"Just purchased my first boat

"Just purchased my first boat from a marine dealer. Engine runs a treat but at higher revs after coasting for a while the buzzer sounds, a drop in revs will mostly stop it. Water flows seem to be right, it doesn't seem to be hot and the VRO was converted to a premix. What could be sounding the alarm? and what is the alarm an indicator of?"

"First check that the connecto

"First check that the connector from the VRO is disconnected (rubber plug with 3 cables, may be 4).
Then do a charge voltage check. If battery voltage goes above 15 volts, this may happend. The remedy is most often to change the battery to a 'ceap' type, not gel or sealed type battery, and/or install a regulator. What You most probably have is just a rectifier. (small round alu piece)."

"RandyOz,

Mine is doing the

"RandyOz,

Mine is doing the exact same thing? Like Morten said, check your VRO is disconnected. After he mentioned that, I remember a week or so ago opening up my cowling and seeing it disconnected. I didn't know what it went to so I connected it. Morten, just by hooking that connector up will it cause warning alarms allowing the RPMS to drop? Hope that's all your problem is RandyOz."

"As for the VRO:
The original

"As for the VRO:
The original VRO had 3 cables. It was then added a cable no4-Red to 'feel off' the charge/battery voltage to avoid false VRO alarms due to variations in the battery/charge circuit. By disconnecting the plug You remove the VRO from the alarm circuit.
As for dropping RPM when the alarm goes off indicates either that Your SLOW function is kicking in (high temp and/or no oil), or that that there is a 'leak' in the stop circuit (black/yellow) to the alarm ground. This may be caused by corrosion/cable dammage in the controlebox/ign switch,but I have only stumbled accross it a couple of times.
Another funny thing that might happend is if You use NGK 'R' plugs and You get a spark jump into the temp switch wire. This normally kills the power pack either by locking it in SLOW or makes 2 cyls fire at the same time."

"Thanks for the info. So if I

"Thanks for the info. So if I disconnect the VRO connector, could that possibly remedy my situation? Thanks again."

"Thanks, I know it has got abo

"Thanks, I know it has got above 15 volts, as long as my fishfinder is giving me the correct info, so I'll try a different battery and check my connections.
Thanks again Morten and Billy."

"If the VRO electrical plug st

"If the VRO electrical plug stays connected it is hooked to the alarm system and if the VRO is not in operation (useing pre mix), You will get a 'no oil' warning and SLOW."

Hello Morten

Where is the V

Hello Morten

Where is the VRO connector located?

Thanks

Nigel Thorp

Follow the cable from the oil-

Follow the cable from the oil-pump in the VRO about 15cm and You find a plug connector with a metal clip holding it together. Take off the clip and pull apart the connector.

Hello morton

I can't fi

Hello morton

I can't find a VRO connectoron my 1996 70hp.

I am thinking of disconnecting the buzzer at the remote controls where the ignition key is.

nigel

"The clamp is marked '20&#

"The clamp is marked '20', plug '2'. Unless someone has installed the conversion kit for pre-mix!
53568.gif
"

Hello Morton

I've disco

Hello Morton

I've disconnected the buzzer at the ignition.
Thanks for all your help. merry christmas.
Nigel

"Nigel , I would think that di

"Nigel , I would think that disconnecting the buzzer at the control box is a mistake / blunder even.You now do not have any protection/ indication of overheat conditions."

"Thanks morton

I've tho

"Thanks morton

I've thought a lot about that. I have pulled apart every connector block on the motor and it still buzzed. The motor was converted by a dealer who no longer does service work. I'm an addicted tell tale watcher and careful pre-mixer, so I think it's a chance I'm prepared to take. But I really appreciate all your advice. Hopefully I won't have to tell you that you told me so!

I have also been pulling apart a chrysler 15hp today that I bought from a garage sale for $100. It runs well, but needs an impeller, upper gearbox seal and output shaft seal. I must be a glutton for punishment but I thought it could make an okay auxiliary. Thanks again

nigel"

"If the buzzer keeps going off

"If the buzzer keeps going off even with all alarm switches disconnected, it is most likely the horn itself. As a final test disconnect the brown wire into the horn. If it still sounds, horn is defective. If no sound, You may have a short somewhere in the harness system in boat or engine. If You have the big red connectors on the boat-engine harness the problem might be there.
Enjoy the upcomming holidays, and a HAPPY NEW BOATING YEAR!"

Back