Logo

80s mercury 115 stalls under load

77bayliner

Hi everyone, i have an 80s mercury 115 that has the switch box ignition system. I just had some work done to it new stator new switch boxes and rectifier. I got it home idled great in the drive way with muffs on it. So i took it to the lake got it in the water and started the motor up put it in gear and the engine just dies on me. Both reverse and forwards itll run for about 15 seconds before dieing. The shop i brought it too seems to think its the reeds in the engine thats causing the issue. The carbs have been rebuilt, fuel pump also rebuilt, new plugs, and fuel lines. Anyone have any suggestions of what it could be? I was thinking possibly the ignition "black box" as its called in the book is not advanceing the timeing like it should. compression on all cylinders is equal last time i checked it before i brought it to the shop. Any help would be great.......

Classic symptoms of the low speed jets being too lean.-------Open each one 1/8 turn at a time and see if the stall goes away.

Didn't they check the reeds when they rebuilt the carbs? They might check the crankcase seals since it's old OB.

I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump my self. Could the timing be off? I'll try turning the idle screws out the 1/8 turn see if that helps.

..." Could the timing be off? I'll try turning the idle screws out the 1/8 turn see if that helps. "

Yes. Try 1/2 turn out (CCW).

Jeff

..." Could the timing be off? I'll try turning the idle screws out the 1/8 turn see if that helps. "

Yes. Try 1/2 turn out (CCW).

Jeff

Thanks for the help Jeff, come to find out it was the return spring that keeps those adjustment screws against the stops. The spring was broken so the arm was just flopping around and causeing speradic timing. thanks for the help everyone fixed the spring and it runs like a champ now.

Back