Logo

4.3 LX Starter clicks when trying to start.

duckhunter185

Contributing Member
When I try to start my 94 4.3LX the starter just clicks.. A few times it turned over but mostly it just clicks. I have a deep cell with 550cca. Im thinking the starter is weak or the deep cell battery doesnt have enough balls? Any idea what could most likely be my issue. thanks

Just a plain ol deep cycle. I replaced the slave solenoid pre this problem. Also with the plugs out it turns over Fine and turns easy by hand....

I gotta ask,

Duckhunter you have been posting a lot lately does ANYTHING work as it should on your boat???

Way to many elementry problems for it to be a fluke..........

Who has been workning on this boat and what did they do to it to cause SO MANY ISSUES!!!!

You need a manual first off........

There are two solenoids in the starting curcit, one is a slave the other is on the starter itself.

the slave has four wires, two large ones go to the top two terminals, the two smaller ones are BLACK = ground and yellow with a red stripe = crank over.

if you determine which top RED wire is hot all the time and simply jump from that wire to the yellow with red stripe and the engine cranks over then it is your key switch or wiring harness. If it does NOT crank over then it may be the slave solenoid it self.

the starter solenoid has a large std with at least two large guage wires attached, there is also a small connection with a yellow with red striipe going to it.

repeat the jumping from the large terminal (battery connection point) on the starter to the yellow with red stripe this should also crank over the engine. if it does not do it from this point then you either have a bad starter, bad ground, bad battery or an internal engine issue.....

First rule of owning a boat...........have at least two starting batteries one in the boat and one fully charged as a spare........

Deep cycle batteries are typically for electric trolling motors and not for starting a engine,

there are dual purpose batteries that say they are a bit of both, Mine says this.......NAPA 625 CCA starting/deepcycle..........$90.00 +

Well when I bought the boat the engine was in pieces. So nothing really worked on it. I bought it as a project because of the price. Sorry if I've been asking so much.... Just trying to get this thing back together. Thanks for everything

No need to be sorry......that was not my point at all!!

It just seemed as if a lot of small issues that make for a large head ache.........

I would say that at a minimum you have some wiring issues........

you should make sure all connections (connectors and ring terminals) everywhere on the boat are clean, tight and free from corrosion!!

Again a manual with a schematic for you to trace or track all connections to be sure nothing is missing or loose or corroded.....

what year is your boat?? what engine??

I have schematics for it. It's a 94 with a 4.3lx. Yes it is a head ache but i bought a boat with an engine compartment full of parts. Just hoping to get as much advice as possible from the ones who know the most. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas what could my issue. It seems to my like my starter is weak. But I've Alsö seen where the deep cycle won't always start well. Hope to have my headache running this week so I can take my kids on the lake.

Ask all of the questions that you need...we will help you. Since the starter will turn the engine over w/plugs out I suspect the old starter needs a max. current surge from a start battery in lieu of a deep cycle type. The starter's brushes could be worn and the solenoid contacts may be burnt...take it to a starter shop and have it refurbished.

hey duckhunter had a similar one time with a battery!! started fine one time,took out come back went to start again just click, had a fancy battery charger with me put it on the battery it said 100% ol no starter is bad, took to shop they called me next day and said battery was shot no way it said 100% they put a load tester on it and went down!! i felt dumb put new battery on starts fine!! just thought i would throw that in, but it sounds like u find the problem good luck!!!

Thanks! I had a problem with getting bad batteries from sams club one time. Had 3 bad batteries in a months time. The only boat shop around here is a small one run by an old timer. Nice guy
. Anyways he has a solenoid that he ordered for someone buy never picked it up. Gonna stop by in the morning after work and get it. Hope to have I running tomorrow. I had to make new fuel lines for it and put a calibration kit in my edelbrock.

Hey i have a old pos also got it and was in pieces at least the engine and the drive were together. I feel for you. Keep asking there are many people here willing to help.

Ok fired the boat up today. Runs great! Except for leaking water pump were there were no gaskets and old silicone. Anyways the engine still won't turn over by the key. When I jump the slave solenoid it starts up perfect. I've already replaces the slave solenoid. Engine ground and all other connections are Fine??? Where to look next.

12 volts is transmitted thru the keyswitch along yellow/black striped wire thru the neutral safety switch then on to the slave solenoid. Jump around the neutral safety switch from the keyswitch to the slave and then see if the keyswitch will turn the slave on to start the engine. If it doesn't then the keyswitch is suspect. If it does start then the neutral safety switch is suspect.

12 volts is transmitted thru the keyswitch along yellow/black striped wire thru the neutral safety switch then on to the slave solenoid. Jump around the neutral safety switch from the keyswitch to the slave and then see if the keyswitch will turn the slave on to start the engine. If it doesn't then the keyswitch is suspect. If it does start then the neutral safety switch is suspect.
Yellow with an orange stripe.

Change the slave solenoid.

He already changed the slave. I am trouble shooting from memory...thought mine was yellow/black. Check the wires attached to the base of the slave which connect to the ignition switch via the neutral safety switch.

I have a 2010 4.3 merc IO i picked up a new starter solinoid and can't find it do they all have them. The boat clicks when it turn the key just one time ,i do that 2 or3 times than it turns over and the trim is the same hit it 2 or3 times for it to work

Back