Logo

"New" 1990 15hp Evinrude, a few questions

Sin Nombre

I posted a thread a while back requesting advice buying a 2-stroke 15hp Evinrude or Johnson and appreciate the responses that helped in my purchase. I ended up buying a very clean 1990 Evinrude short shaft from an OB refurbisher an hour from San Diego. They had determined the compression was 110 in both cylinders and changed gear oil, impeller and provided 30 day warranty. It idles and runs great.

But of course I have no manual and so I have a few questions, which first of all is how can I get some version of an owner's manual, not a repair manual for two decades of hundreds of models?

On the chance that this is not a possibility, can anyone tell me if my motor uses a shear pin?

I have never had a motor with a knob for rich/lean before, I suspect it is controlling the amount of air to the carb, so can anyone tell me how to use it, especially at higher elevations?

What are you recommending as a good oil/gas ratio for this motor?

Thanks for all replies

use --google to find -----ken cook manuals --------------that can get you an original manual.------Mix gas and oil at 50:1 using TCW-III oil.-----------The mixture knob is for slow speed operation only and it is adjusted for smooth idling only.-------The knob cab be pulled off if you reach the stops and reset.

Thanks Racer and Jim. Based on the model nimbers on the manual lists I have determined I have a 1989 motor (15RCEC). I probably don't need a manual as they are mostly generic info. I'll adjust the mixture knob at idle next time I have the motor running.

But I don't know if this motor had stopped using a shear pin, my 89 8hp Johnson does use one. Just need to know if I should be carrying a spare, or if the one for the 89 8hp will fit the 89 15hp.

Those 9.9 / 15 HP motors have not used a shear pin since 1974.-Spline drive.---If you are using it in shallow water a spare prop might be an idea.

Back